The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Otto Skorzeny, rfs56trk, Buckeye998, Chip O, WICruiser), 121 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
700R4 and brand new never run.
I read on a website it would need 6 qts. to fill. I filled her and later noticed a big puddle underneath. It is dripping fluid out the tailshaft. I hope I just put too much fluid in it.
How many qts. does it take????? headscratch


~Jim
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
BIG,

I guess I'll ask the obvious...you do have the drive line in, or at least a dummy tail shaft, right. Without those, it's Niagara Falls.

Stuart

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 79
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 79
It will hold 6 quarts in the transmission, two or more in the converter and depending on the size of cooler, around two for that. Most take 10 to 12 quarts to fill the system from bone dry.

I am assuming that the driveshaft yoke is in good condition and installed, the rear seal is ok and any tailshaft housing gaskets are in good shape. If yes to all, then check for cracks.



1949 "Heinz 57"
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
New driveshaft and yoke and installed. I don't know about the rear seal or tail shaft housing gaskets. I bought this tranny in May of last year, that's 15 months ago. I know how rear seals will dry up if not driven but I assume not without running and building up pressure.


~Jim
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
BIG,
I would pull the driveshaft and inspect the seal,also inspect the driveshaft input shaft itself, is the input shaft worn/degraded/nicked up in any way?... Ive had one get a nick in it from layin round the shop and my BOYS!
if ya drippin fluid, is it possible ya nicked the seal when ya installed the driveshaft or the input shaft on the driveshaft is buggered up a bit?
I usually get more probs from the speedometer housing leaking than the tailshaft with a good seal and input shaft.
Just tossin out ideas
Tim


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Some times there is a hole in the back of the yoke for a vent if the yoke was not intended for an auto matic. It shouldn,t leak back there but after putting in about 5 quarts you need to start the engine & fill it as nessesary. Like Dave-O says if it is empty it will take about 11-12 Quarts.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0