| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (WICruiser, DaveV),
83
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,115 Posts1,056,623 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 217 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 217 | Ok, I've got just about everything done on my '54 3100, unfortunately the ammeter is giving me trouble? How should this be hooked up? It now is a direct short and blows the fuse. I guess the power should flow though it? I'm stumped!! | | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 388 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 388 | "Alternator to ammeter to starter [battery post]" Thus, the ammeter works and the battery charges, and the starter gets power from the battery.
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | 1954Chevy5Window,
The ammeter, per se, does not have a fuse. Basically, alternator output from the big BATT terminal feeds the ammeter post located behind the 'discharge' (-) side of the gauge while the 'charge' (+) side is connected to the battery via the connection on the starter.
All loads, minus the horn and starter, will connect to the common terminal with the alternator on the 'discharge' side of the ammeter.
There are few fuses on your rig...from the factory that is. To find the circuit that is blowing the fuse, pull all the fuses and reinsert them until you find the one that blows...that's the shorted circuit.
Does this make any sense?
Stuart | | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 217 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 217 | Thanks for the info. I upgraded my wiring harness to American Autowire so I was frying the "gauges" fuse. I'm not sure if I read the diagram wrong or what but I had one terminal from 12v and the other grounded (direct Short). I'll fix it like you said.
One other question about my Cigar lighter. It is shorting out as well, with either the lighter inserted or not. It had no instructions so I connected the 12v hot wire to the center indented post and the negative to the "shroud" terminal. I checked the continuity of the "button" at the back of the female portion and it showed continuity to ground. I know this is wrong and, I know you guys have the answer I'm looking for, you always do:)
Thanks, Cory
Last edited by 1954Chevy5Window; 09/17/2008 1:05 AM.
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 | Lift the wire to the center post and check continuity again. If you still get continuity to ground then the lighter "socket" has a problem. If not, the the wire to the lighter has the problem. This is assuming your test was with the battery disconnected or fuse pulled. Be careful with the center post connection. It is very close to ground and you could be shorting it out.
Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
| | |
| |
| |