The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Gdads51, 2 invisible), 60 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,636
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 217
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 217
Ok, I've got just about everything done on my '54 3100, unfortunately the ammeter is giving me trouble? How should this be hooked up? It now is a direct short and blows the fuse. I guess the power should flow though it? I'm stumped!!


1954 Chevy 3100
1952 Chevy Suburban
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
"Alternator to ammeter to starter [battery post]" Thus, the ammeter works and the battery charges, and the starter gets power from the battery.

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
1954Chevy5Window,

The ammeter, per se, does not have a fuse. Basically, alternator output from the big BATT terminal feeds the ammeter post located behind the 'discharge' (-) side of the gauge while the 'charge' (+) side is connected to the battery via the connection on the starter.

All loads, minus the horn and starter, will connect to the common terminal with the alternator on the 'discharge' side of the ammeter.

There are few fuses on your rig...from the factory that is. To find the circuit that is blowing the fuse, pull all the fuses and reinsert them until you find the one that blows...that's the shorted circuit.

Does this make any sense?

Stuart

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 217
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 217
Thanks for the info. I upgraded my wiring harness to American Autowire so I was frying the "gauges" fuse. I'm not sure if I read the diagram wrong or what but I had one terminal from 12v and the other grounded (direct Short). I'll fix it like you said.

One other question about my Cigar lighter. It is shorting out as well, with either the lighter inserted or not. It had no instructions so I connected the 12v hot wire to the center indented post and the negative to the "shroud" terminal. I checked the continuity of the "button" at the back of the female portion and it showed continuity to ground. I know this is wrong and, I know you guys have the answer I'm looking for, you always do:)

Thanks,
Cory

Last edited by 1954Chevy5Window; 09/17/2008 1:05 AM.

1954 Chevy 3100
1952 Chevy Suburban
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
Lift the wire to the center post and check continuity again. If you still get continuity to ground then the lighter "socket" has a problem. If not, the the wire to the lighter has the problem. This is assuming your test was with the battery disconnected or fuse pulled. Be careful with the center post connection. It is very close to ground and you could be shorting it out.


Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0