The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (1955 1 Series, 55shaker, Otto Skorzeny, RLB, Shaffer's1950), 126 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,391
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 39
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 39
I have a 51 GMC 1/2 ton, the truck has a 235 6 and a 4 speed trans. I want to pull the motor and trans as a unit. Is this possible to do, the rearend is a torque tube and the trans has the shifter tower and hangs lower then the rear engine cross member, the front clip and bed have been removed.
Thanks !!


I am going nowhere fast and it's not taking me long to get there !!!!
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Absolutely. Check out my webshots below and you'll see mine as I was doing it.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
No offense, moneypit, but I don't see the picture of your 4 speed and engine bolted together going into or out of the truck. My understanding based on my own truck is that it is impossible to leave the engine and 4 speed transmission bolted together and remove it from the truck without raising the cab or cutting the crossmember. You can remove the shift tower by unbolting it from the top of the transmission but this doesn't give enough clearance in my truck.

It is possible with the 3 speed because the crossmember does not interfere.

However, it is easy to just unbolt the 4 bolts from the transmission and slide the engine right out. (Support the transmission.)


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 39
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 39
I thought that I would have to unbolt the trans but just wanted to be sure, with the motor and bell houding out is there enough room slide the trans forward to uncouple the torque tube, The trans looks heavy and I am sure the tube must be supported also. Is this true !!
Thanks


I am going nowhere fast and it's not taking me long to get there !!!!
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
It is all designed so that the trans can be removed without removing the rear end or the enging.

Unbolt the bell at the rear of the trans and slide it back to access the ujoint assembly. Unbolt the ujoint assembly and slide the yoke back and lower the torque tube. Don't just let it fall, the bell will be damaged. The trans can now be unbolted. Two bolts inside the bell housing and two outside. The trans is heavy, but depending on your strength you can strong arm it out. It is best to use a jack or a cherry picker.

Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 39
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 39
There two sets of bolts on the bell one set is for the back half of the bell and the other is actually bolted to the rear trans case, which bolts do I remove to get to the u joint ??


I am going nowhere fast and it's not taking me long to get there !!!!
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Remove the bell cover's bolts (the collar that hold the bell into it's housing). Lonnie's instruction are good.

Yes, it is possible to remove an engine with the transmission on it. I did it with 4-speed last month (for a friend who did not want to remove the transmission). However, my first choice would be to remove the transmission before removing the engine.

Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 39
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 39
The trans is out,,, thanks for the help


I am going nowhere fast and it's not taking me long to get there !!!!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0