The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Otto Skorzeny, Shade Baby, Mike B, klhansen, 1 invisible), 94 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,649
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 99
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 99
I currently have the manifolds pulled off the 235 and have been soaking and scrubbing the parts with parts washer fluid, but there's still some build-up of crud plus some rust I wouldn't mind getting off before I paint them. I was thinking about stuffing the manifolds with paper towels, duct taping over all the mounting surfaces, blasting them, then soak and thoroughly cleaning the parts again to get any media out. Is there a better way to clean these parts or a reason I shouldn't do this?


Neil
1955 Chevy 3200
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
Just blast them inside and out and really clean them when you are done. They were sandcasted when new, so you think Chevrolet spent a lot of time cleaning them? You can get them hot tanked at a shop, but that won't remove rust. I wouldn't think twice about blasting. Joe

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Neil,

While you have them off, take a moment to lay a straight edge across the flanges. These manifolds warp often and this would be the ideal time to have the set faced at a automotive machine shop.

Stuart

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 403
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 403
One other thing you could do is take them to a powder coater they will bead blast them and powder coat them. They can coat them with a space age powder coat in natural cast color and they will run a lot cooler and keep them looking new for a long long time and your rust problems are solved by being fully encapsulated in powder coat.
62Blue

Last edited by Don G.; 09/04/2008 6:42 PM.

62Blue
62Chevy in progress
You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach3" Paul F Crichmore (Test Pilot)
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 403
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 403
I had my manifolds powder coated with a special coating and when I dropped them off the powder coater here in Calif. told me they will run cooler with this spaceage material they put on them. I havent fired up the engine yet and it will be awhile but will let you know if it is true as I have a heat senser thermo tool to check the temp. when I fire it off. I believe it is the same stuff they put on the new headers as it comes in Brite Silver and Natural Cast color which is a Gray color. Just what the coater told me. If you would like his phone number and bussiness name I can get it for you.

Don
62Blue

Last edited by Don G.; 09/05/2008 2:39 AM.

62Blue
62Chevy in progress
You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach3" Paul F Crichmore (Test Pilot)
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 227
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 227
Denny.......he's referring to Ceramic coatings.
These are done by a company called H.P.C. in Australia and the coatings are made from a ceramic substance.
http://www.hpcoatings.com.au/
Just like the space shuttle tiles,these are very heat resistant which keeps all of the exhaust gas heat inside the pipe, not radiating off into your engine bay.

They come in a few different finishes....black, silver, mirror finish etc.

Last edited by doc bob; 09/05/2008 4:09 AM.

"It's not a wreck......It's a natural resource!"
Quote-Doc Bob circa 2006

DOCS CLASSIC GARAGE
Specializing in Hot Rods,
Customs & Street Machines.
My pictures at..........
1936 Chev 1/2-Ton Holden Body


confused? http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 403
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 403
Thanks fellows for the correction it is ceramic coating. Sorry for the mistake.
62Blue


62Blue
62Chevy in progress
You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach3" Paul F Crichmore (Test Pilot)
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 99
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 99
Thanks for all of the replies and input!

The manifolds have been blasted and are now coated with high temp paint. If I wasn't working on the truck with a small budget I would seriously consider ceramic coating, but for this project I can't justify spending that much on those parts.

My next question... would it be a bad idea to bake the manifolds in the kitchen oven to cure the paint? The instructions say that's one way to cure the paint and since I'm not going to have the truck running for awhile I would rather cure the paint now than later. Are there any hazards to doing that in an oven that's used for food?

Oh and Stuart, thanks for the suggestion to check how straight they were. Fortunately they are dead-on flush but I had forgotten about checking them!


Neil
1955 Chevy 3200
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
Originally Posted by Milhouse
Are there any hazards to doing that in an oven that's used for food?

Only if your married! eeeek

Bruce


My Trucks
Stuff I Collect
If it doesn't matter if you win or loose.......why do they keep score?
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
Use the barbeque if you have a marriage to save. The instructions with my high heat paint said to bake it while still wet which I did and it has held up great. Check your can and you might want to blast again, spray, and cook right away.


1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
I use an old gas range in the gun shop to heat-cure a finishing product called Cerama-Coat. I don't think I'd risk having to live in the shop full time by doing the same thing in the kitchen! Baked paint has a very nasty, long-lasting smell!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0