The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (GDW, Hotrod Lincoln, Gdads51, Jon G, ndkid275), 172 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,455
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 140
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 140
I am in the process of installing a 3" drop axle and disc brakes into my old '58 apache 1/2 ton pickup for it's new owner. When dissasembling the original axle I noticed that there were thrust bearings between the axle and bottom of the spindles. The new axle and kingpin set only came with thick steel washers/spacers
and shims. The original thrustbearings are too thick to fit as the new axle is deeper where the kingpins fit so the gap is too small. Is it OK to just use the steel spacer or am I better off trying to find thrust bearings to fit.
Thanks
Willy


1959 Chevy Apache
1948 Chevrolet COE

Trucks are like womens handbags !! you can never have enough of them and they can carry all your worldly possesions
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Best do all you can to find a thrust bearing to fit first. If no luck there perhaps two hardened steel washers and a bronze one between them?

What does the axle supplier have to say about this?

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
I'm about to buy a kingpin set for my 55, 2nd series. I also had the axle dropped 3". I was looking at sets at LMC and Carter's and I believe the illustrations on line showed the correct bearings and spacers..not washers..You might want to look them up. You'll also have to flip the tie rods for clearance with the springs..good application for new style rod ends. You probably know that..just thought I'd mention it.

http://www.lmctruck.com/ICATALOG/CA/full.aspx?Page=82

Good luck..

Keith

PS in re-thinking this the new ones are probably the same as you're old one. How much are they off by? Can the axle be machined?

Last edited by Slickriffs; 09/09/2008 3:21 PM.
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
If this is one of Sid's dropped original axles, the dimensions will be the same as stock, and will allow the use of thrust bearings. If it's one of the new manufactured axles, I'd ask them about the bearing situation. All the weight on the front end is carried by those bearings, I wouldn't use plain washers in there, don't think they'd last very long.

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 140
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 140
The drop axle is not an original I beam it is an aftermarket one with tube centre section and CNC cut solid steel ends. If I can not find suitable thrustbearings I think I will have to get ends of the new axle machined which is a bummer as it is already powdercoated. Thanks for the info you confirmed my thoughts of going with a thrust bearing.
Willy


1959 Chevy Apache
1948 Chevrolet COE

Trucks are like womens handbags !! you can never have enough of them and they can carry all your worldly possesions
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615

I'd ask CPP or where ever you bought it from Willy. They must hear this all the time. Maybe they have a fix.

Good luck,

Keith

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 140
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 140
could not get a suitable thinner thrust bearing so have had to machine the ends of the axle to suit orininal type thrust bearing.
You would think that the axle manufacturers would be a little more accurate. Never mind these things are meant to try us.
All sorted now

Willy


1959 Chevy Apache
1948 Chevrolet COE

Trucks are like womens handbags !! you can never have enough of them and they can carry all your worldly possesions

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0