The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (Hotrod Lincoln, MickeyP, Peggy M, 55shaker, klhansen, Craig /49 Panel, Shaffer's1950, Otto Skorzeny), 69 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,386
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#44724 07/24/2004 6:38 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
I was just at a cruise night with my Pontiac and a guy told me he poured a small amount of auto trans fluid in his carburetor while engine was running. This was to help things seal/reseal. Anybody heard of this?


Tradin' up dimes for nickels...
'`'`'`'`'`'`
My \'65 Chevy C-20
#44725 07/24/2004 12:45 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
Obviously due to his second "job" as a mosquito eradicator.

I fail to see a benefit to either the carb or the engine.

Jon.


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
#44726 07/24/2004 12:59 PM
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 114
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 114
I was told that ATF can sometimes loosen sticking rings. I guess the shock!


Jim
#44727 07/24/2004 1:11 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 36
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 36
I've known people to pour water in the carb of a warm, running motor to get rid of carbon. I will say that a boosted motor running W/I will have clean combustion chambers when it is torn down.

People will pour ATF in everything except a tranny to cure problems, but I myself have never seen it cure anything.

Larry

#44728 07/24/2004 9:31 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 709
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 709
Remember when I was a young pup back in the 60's some of the old time mechanics used to say this would help seat rings and valves after a rebuild. Would smoke like the devil and would definitely clear the area.


Bruce
Old Toy: Ol' Betsy stock 59 Apache SB Stepside (Gone but not Forgotten)
New Toy: 1962 Impala SS Coupe
The Driver: 1990 Toyota truck
#44729 07/25/2004 3:32 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 219
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 219
I've done it!! I works! It frees sticky valves, and, removes carbon build up in the combustion chamber & intake valves. It works better if you pour it in while running, Then shut the engine down & let it sit overnight. Go for a good blast the next day. It's cured pinging problems for different applications for me in the past.


"I can go anywhere...for I am a Piewagoneer...To the Piewagon"

1966 Chevy Panel Delivery 1966 in the Gallery and more on Webshots
#44730 07/25/2004 3:36 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 219
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 219
You can also follow this up with trickling water down the carb when at around 2k rpm. The water creates "steam", and, cleans the combustion chamber up nice. Ever pull a head with a bad gasket?? The suspect cylinder is always spotless.


"I can go anywhere...for I am a Piewagoneer...To the Piewagon"

1966 Chevy Panel Delivery 1966 in the Gallery and more on Webshots
#44731 07/25/2004 4:23 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
Yeah, this guy said it'll smoke like crazy but he swore his engine ran much better afterwards. So, it seems like mixed opinions here. I thought for sure Hotrod Lincoln would be the first to chime in here. Jerry, you out there?


Tradin' up dimes for nickels...
'`'`'`'`'`'`
My \'65 Chevy C-20
#44732 07/25/2004 4:44 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 60
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 60
How much water and atf would you put in?
Jess smile


1951 3100
#44733 07/25/2004 3:15 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
It,s also good to pour some in the carb with
engine running before shutting it down for a
long period. Coats every thing.
Where is hot-rod? He hasn,t jumped in lately.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
#44734 07/25/2004 3:42 PM
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 252
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 252
Dont know how much ATF content is in it. But "Fogging Oil" does basically the same thing Wrenchbender has described. Comes in a spray can. Boating types spray it into the carb when laying up marine engines for a while. IMHO, the spray makes it easier to handle. Most auto part stores have it too.

#44735 07/25/2004 5:00 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 219
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 219
GM sells "top engine cleaner" over the counter.
It's used the same way I described using the ATF.
Gm has a few service bulletins for different symptoms that outline this procedure. Symptoms range from engine miss, ping,to carbon knock. But, with the modern fuel injected engines, the cleaner is introduced/ingested through the pcv system. The water part is tricky. I don't feel comfortable describing it in print. It was something an oldtimer physically showed me. It's better to see it done in person. It does work well though.


"I can go anywhere...for I am a Piewagoneer...To the Piewagon"

1966 Chevy Panel Delivery 1966 in the Gallery and more on Webshots
#44736 07/25/2004 5:12 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
A friend of mine told me about water in the carb. Said it'll absolutely clean out the carbon. He said with engine running and warmed up, use a spray bottle with a mist. He thought 1 spray maybe every 10-15 seconds for a few minutes did the trick.


Tradin' up dimes for nickels...
'`'`'`'`'`'`
My \'65 Chevy C-20

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0