| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,099 Posts1,056,501 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 615 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 615 | Any painters in the house? If so what would be in cronological order your "path" when painting it..assume the truck is completely assembled. Where would you start?..where would you end? and everything in-between.
Thanks,
Keith | | | | | Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 37 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 37 | Keith,
It just doesn't matter. If the truck is all together, mask off what does not get painted and go to it.
On my truck, I started with the rims because they were to be the same color as the body and I wanted them painted before I put the new tires on. Next I painted the fire wall before I installed the engine. Makes things easier then masking everything.The doors were off so I painted them. The fenders are black so I painted them along withnthe running boards before installation. When everything is together I will mask off and do a finish coat.
So whatever works for you
Charlie
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 190 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 190 |
Last edited by wasat again; 08/26/2008 4:50 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 615 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 615 | Thanks..
Back in the old days my bodywork books did have suggested "routes" for cars and trucks..They tried to minimize overspray problems..So at the end of the route you weren't getting fresh paint on paint that has flashed..I suppose that can't be toatally eliminated...
Keith | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,256 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,256 | Probably a good idea to start at the top and work your way down. Kinda stinks when you have a hose or body part hit fresh paint on the side as you reach over to spray the center of the roof. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 227 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 227 | Keith.......... Do all your inner work first. I'm assuming their is no glass in the cab????????
Inner work is all the windscreen surrounds, door internals, door jambs and scuff panels etc.
Once all this tricky stuff is done, you can do the rest in long even strokes. Simply mask off the screen areas and lay on your coats starting from the roof centres and working your way down to the sills.
Remember ......... a bad paint job is only a sanding away from a good one! | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 615 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 615 | Bob-yes no glass installed..
"Once all this tricky stuff is done, you can do the rest in long even strokes. Simply mask off the screen areas and lay on your coats starting from the roof centres and working your way down to the sills."
Are you speaking about the inner cab here or outer..after the inners been done?
Tx
Keith
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 227 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 227 | All the outer areas Keith.
Laying on the colour in the door jambs/windows/sills etc. first off then allows you to blend the outside coat over these areas without having to try and do them later.
If you go the other way around.......you'll end up with overspray all over your topcoat trying to finish the tricky areas mentioned above.
Starting from the outer roof centre work outwards to the roof gutters on both sides, the same for the hood and keep working down to the sills. Don't forget the door edges and under sills! The interior paint can be done at a later time.
Last edited by doc bob; 08/29/2008 1:29 PM.
| | |
| |
| |