The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (Otto Skorzeny, 68ironhead, 3B, Jon G, Gdads51, NJC, 2 invisible), 104 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,369
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
Hooray, Hooray.

I have the 3 speed overdrive, the switches and relay. I also have the wiring diagram (many thanks to squeeze). I believe I can put a wiring harness together with the correct gage wire.

The latest question concerns the resistors. What kind of resistors are located at the starter motor and inline with the power source. The diagram shows power coming from the IGN 1 and IGN 2 poles of the ignition switch and connecting to both sides of the resistor. This line has a fuse holder with a 9 amp fuse.

That's confusing. Any help?

Also, a question about the resistor on the generator for the radio. What kind of resistor is that?

TIA


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
Dennis - the resistor on the wiring diagram is the ignition resistor that's mounted on the firewall - all ya need is to tap off the brown end of that resistor w/ a fuse holder and bob's yer uncle - or was it ralph? grin

coil, starter, start sw and gauges don't change from what they are w/o the OD - notice the bottom left corner {OD relay} goes to "BAT" which just means hot/power; other side goes to {kickdown sw}, which goes to ign2 by way of coil, and to the trans {solenoid}

ties it all together - keep it simple! grin

Bill

oh yeah - don't know about the resistor for the radio, but it's to keep ign from makin static - actually now that I think of it, isn't it a capacitor?


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Oh, btw, the purpose of wiring the overdrive to the ignition is so that the solenoid can short it out when it needs to kick down, to let it shift. This is normal and you may notice it while driving.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 12
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 12
I have a Muncie overdrive (three speed) that I plan to install in my 62 1/2 ton chevy truck. Two questions-where can I get a gasket set for it and can't I hook up a switch to manually engage the overdrive since I don't have all the wiring to connect to the carb? Someone said that I will need a cable to go in and out of one part of the unit and a simple switch on the dash to engage the selonoid? Any suggestions? The trans came out of a Studebaker .

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
Squeeze & 4onthefloor - once again, thanks for the information. It looks like I got everything electronic and will get it all hooked up. As soon as I get the time. All I need now is a cable.

Emdabbs - you can get the overdrive gaskets package from Heavy Chevy (Arkansas). $4.95.

Thanks again to all.


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0