The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (5cameo8, jmoore, Gdads51, 1 invisible), 74 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,092
Posts1,056,457
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#44267 11/06/2001 11:48 PM
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 149
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 149
Iam still pondering my different options for my '49 AD. I would like to get one donor car for various parts. Rather then spending $1500-$2000 dollars for a mustang II IFS kit I would rather go the IFS donor route. My question is which cars have a IFS that I could use? Will a Nova work? or a older model truck? What are my options?? Thanks!

Dan


"Finish the thing, do it right the first time, and drive the S.O.B.!"

1949 Chevy half ton 3100 In a kazillion pieces
2000 GMC Serria 1500 SL 4x4
#44268 11/07/2001 2:39 AM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 379
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 379
Look for Chuckthetruck on this site. He has put some pretty good info together on the various options.

#44269 11/07/2001 11:48 AM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
Although I have installed a Mustang II IFS (kit from Progressive), I don't have the info you're looking for. I think you're looking for Chevy1's excellent site:
http://50chevy.freeservers.com/topics.htm#Topics

My two cents - even though it isn't on the ground yet, if I had to do it over I'd stay with the straight axle, rebuild it, go with disc brakes and still have money left over for more "goodies."

#44270 11/07/2001 3:31 PM
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 149
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 149
Thanks Chuck! I tune into your web site often. Its looking good! And that grill looks great next to the china cabinet. hahaha Dan


"Finish the thing, do it right the first time, and drive the S.O.B.!"

1949 Chevy half ton 3100 In a kazillion pieces
2000 GMC Serria 1500 SL 4x4
#44271 11/09/2001 2:16 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 109
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 109
How about the Industrial Chassis Dodge Dakota IFS kit? I'm probably gonna go that way myself, maybe just get a donor Dakota for the whole thing. Supposedly much better than Mustang II for bumpsteer and anti-dive, and it's designed for high CG vehicles (trucks).

good luck!


John Kennedy
1950 Suburban street rod
Pics in the Gallery.......
new site up!
http://home.joimail.com/~kennedyjp/
#44272 11/10/2001 2:10 AM
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 149
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 149
What year model would that be? And is the industrial chasis differnt then a regular one? Thanks


"Finish the thing, do it right the first time, and drive the S.O.B.!"

1949 Chevy half ton 3100 In a kazillion pieces
2000 GMC Serria 1500 SL 4x4
#44273 11/10/2001 9:11 PM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 112
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 112
Ah; Just a thought, 47 thru 54 AD pickup use
77-79 Malibu frame, get v-8 model donar, with steering gear behind front cross member.
check your frame measure and malibu should be close and fit better than nova.

jbennett
40 burb

#44274 11/10/2001 11:38 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 39
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 39
for what it is worth ,i would leave the strait axel there .i put disc on mine and had local spring shop rebuild all 4 leaf springs and lowered it all the way around it drives great and sits well not near the $$$$$$$$


47 Chevy COE..52 TO 30
#44275 11/11/2001 1:10 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 6
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 6
Chuck and PTE359,

You both recommend converting to disc brakes so I just looked in my Chevy Duty cataloge and see a Conversion kit for $100. Thank you for the idea. I had been wondering what to do with my 56. I have an opportunity to get a Camaro Rear with discs and positraction, but I wondered how to be able to have the same wheels all around. This looks to me like a perfect setup.

I am building (or rather going to build) this truck with the idea of occasionally hauling a trailer with a 3000-4000 lb antique tractor. I would think that this combo with a turbo 400 tranny would do the job. Oh, also am going to rebuild a 350 to power it.

Thanks,
Dave

#44276 11/11/2001 4:18 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 109
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 109
The Industrial Chassis setup is custom fit for these trucks..... Go to Industrialchassisinc.com they are great with emailed questions, and they cover more apps than their website says they have ( They DO have em for 48-54 Chevys....

I'm not sure what years Dakotas would be best, they'll tell you. I do know that stock A-arms,.... are used with these kits and you get rack-n-pinion as well! grin
and disc brakes! wink


John Kennedy
1950 Suburban street rod
Pics in the Gallery.......
new site up!
http://home.joimail.com/~kennedyjp/
#44277 11/12/2001 5:35 AM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 379
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 379
Went to Industrial Chassis Inc. but they said the Dakota IFS was not for the early AD trucks. They offer a Mustang II setup (but better.)

#44278 11/19/2001 5:48 AM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 8
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 8
I've put a Dakota front frame clip in my '46 3/4 ton. It's a close fit width-wise, but otherwise it's a nice setup for this purpose. The RT version is supposed to be lowered 1 or 1 1/2 inches compared to the regular Dakota. 1997 and up are the ones to use. Plenty of room for mounting just about any engine you want too. My truck isn't on the road yet so I can't tell you how it drives. The biggest problem with this front end is that the wheels have a unique bolt pattern common only with the Viper and of course the Durango. So, getting different offsets and sizes is difficult and limited. I ended up using a Dakota rear end too so I wouldn't have to carry two spare tires. If you are interested in details or photos, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 13
V
New Guy
New Guy
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 13
I put the front end and rearend from a 1978 Chev. 1/2 ton in my 1949 Chev. 1/2 ton, which was a much easier "do" than the 77 Camero subframe which I had put into my son`s 52 1/2 ton.
The 1/2 ton pick-up running gear caused the truck to be higher from the ground than that of the Camero.

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 554
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 554
Check out this link. Sorry, I haven't learned how to give this a short name.
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...at&Number=571697&nt=2&page=1

Chuck

#724305 02/25/2011 3:39 PM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 438
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 438
Mallard

Seems most don't want to go this route but i put a 69 Nova clip under my 49 suburban. Bought it for $200 at swap meet, spent $250-300 or so to rebuild, and had certified welder $100 install. Unless you get all control arms, etc from junk yard a MII is several times that amount. If you want to really think outside the box do a google search for Crown Vic IFS swaps from a 2003-2006 molice car. The F&@#d guys I know swear by them as it is an eight bolt swap with extra beefy components. Good luck


Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle."-Abraham Lincoln

#724312 02/25/2011 3:46 PM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 438
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 438
Mallard

Seems most don't want to go this route but i put a 69 Nova clip under my 49 suburban. Bought it for $200 at swap meet, spent $250-300 or so to rebuild, and had certified welder $100 install. Unless you get all control arms, etc from junk yard a MII is several times that amount. If you want to really think outside the box do a google search for Crown Vic IFS swaps from a 2003-2006 molice car. The F&@#d guys I know swear by them as it is an eight bolt swap with extra beefy components. Good luck


Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle."-Abraham Lincoln


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0