Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,568 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | if your speedo reads 50mph at actual 45mph what would your odometer read more or less milage?????????? ron
Last edited by WE b OLD; 08/14/2008 11:03 PM.
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | 5 more miles per hour - the odometer would read more than the actual mileage. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | is this an amphicar that is on water or land?
depends, the odometer could be broke but the speedometer is working. Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | this is new TPI gauge and i am having a tough time getting the speed calabrated. i think reading on the conservetive side is the better of the two options. it isn't as easy as they say, also the instruction sheet is wrong i was told after i called their tech guru. ron
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | most speedometers/odometers are off a tad any way.. you have all kinds of stuff that can effect it... tires, air pressure,...........how do you know for sure it is off?
the shop should have done this work for you...my opinion only and it dont count for much..
they could probably do this for you in a few min.
bring that sucker to Kansas, City... cletis will fix it for a ceegar
Last edited by joker; 08/14/2008 11:18 PM.
Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | weeeeeeell here in Indiana it is flat and we have mile roads that are a mile apart and i ran them any number of times. i also time with a stop watch. i also paced the cars knowing how fast they usually drive on my road. and just 63 years of seat of the pants. i guessed. i am seriously tying to make the trip in the truck but things keep coming up, it now overheating a little and leaking oil. i am going down to jdl's on sat about a 350 mile round trip to see if the bugs are worked out. i had fun with an infrared gun today. the floor board of the truck was 105, the manifold was 315 and radiator hose was 178. just trying to verify the temps. Ron
Last edited by WE b OLD; 08/15/2008 2:12 AM.
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I don't know how you new device is set uo but in general you should check the error at more than one speed. It is possible to have the difference vary by speed. I think of this on a graph as an incorrect slope and the static error as an offset. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 | Perhaps a local friendly could trap speed you with a radar gun. Around here we have towable traffic speed recorders that post your speed as you pass.I have found that most modern cars at least, read faster then I am actually driving.
Drew
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | the speed is set by calibrating gear ratio and tire size per mile. you drive one mile stop and push a button. a little inprecise, i measured the course with my new car. speed does not factor in. i was hoping to run across one of those speed signs no around here. ron
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 829 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 829 | Ask someone to pace you this weekend. Have them drive at a certain speed, and follow - noting the difference on your speedometer. You could also use the mile markers on the interstate to accurately measure your distance. You could even ask a police officer(as Drew said) - it will give them a cool story to tell back at the station. "You should have seen this '54 Chevy I helped out today..."  | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 1,317 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 1,317 | I found that determining an accurate baseline for speedo/odometer correction, you need to cover 20-40 miles on a measured course. Turnpike driving over measured miles or using a GPS navigation device will give you the numbers you need to calibrate your TPI gauge. Trying to get your baseline over a 1 mile or even a 5 mile course using the odometer alone will be "iffy" at best.
Hope all goes well on your "over-the-road" adventure!! Drive on!!
Dave | | | | | Joined: Jun 2007 Posts: 53 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2007 Posts: 53 | Borrow a gps unit and you can get as close as you will ever get. i use a vdo that sets up the same way and have never had a problem with it. Mike Bourg | | |
| |