The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Dennys28, Wayne67vert, 78buckshot), 108 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
I'm considering one for my 292 project. What is the stock cam's duration? Thanks dudes!

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Hey dude,

Maybe this will help.

http://home.earthlink.net/~danroy/tech_may.html

http://www.cliffordperformance.com/catalog/page29.pdf

Tim

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
T
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
Check this out. cam specs

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
tc,

Clifford Performance must be in financial trouble. I called them for prices on several hot items (as if I really would buy their overpriced parts from them) and the guy told me that many of the things I was looking for was discontinued. I wonder what's up? Is it the competition or are more people doing like myself (waiting on disappointed inline enthusiasts to dump their parts cheap on Ebay)?

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
You should be able to get nearly any cam from a reputable parts store for a better price.There at least a few cam makers that will help you with the lift and duration figures to get the performance you want.


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 206
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 206
Clifford Performance is going through an overhaul (maybe tuneup is a better description) after the passing of founder Jack Clifford. The business is still in the family and they are taking a hard look at what sells and what doesn't. Several longtime employees are no longer there, and it looks to be a pretty "tight ship" for a while. I Hope they weather the storm.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
Lowering their ridiculous prices might help. :rolleyes:

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 206
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 206
I don't think we'll be seeing lower prices from Clifford any time soon. Their latest (Jun 1) dealer price list showed increases of 30%-50% on many items.

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Go to the links page and check out Patricks. He sells Howard's cams and lifters at a better price than I can get locally, and will give you lots of excellent advice on chosing the right cam to meet your needs. One point to remember, the more cubes you have, the hotter cam you can handle. I would not be afraid to put a full race cam in a 292, with the right carb setup it's very streetable. And don't put in a cam without improving the carb, headers, and exhaust. You'll be wasting your money.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
Fred T,

Unfortunately Patrick's doesn't have a cam for my 292. frown

I'll try Tom Langdon.

Thanks!

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
I'd also try a local parts store. New enough engine they should be able to get one. Nothing against Langdon, though. Tom can give good advice, too.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 20
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 20
To answer the original question, I would say that a mild cam is one that works well with stock components. Vacuum devices operate properly, intake and exhaust manifolds are adequate, carb should need no, or minor, tweaking, rear end gear does not need to be changed, gas mileage does not change too much- and may get better, fairly smooth idle..... There may be more, but that pretty well covers it, I think.

Banjo grin


1954 Chevy 3100
454, T-400, GM 14-Bolt Disc brake
Monte Carlo Front Clip
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
Thanks for all the responses guys!

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 12
E
eb1 Offline
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 12
If you are looking for a cam, try Mike Kirby at Sissell's Automotive, 1463 Virginia Ave. Baldwin Park, CA 91706. (626)960-1090 I bought a Crower cam for my "hot street" 292. His web site is at www.sisellsautomotive.com Very nice man I highly recomend him.


'64 C10-292 with TBI, 4speed, 3.42 rear

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0