Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,134 Posts1,056,403 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#43967 06/11/2002 1:29 PM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 687 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 687 | I'm considering one for my 292 project. What is the stock cam's duration? Thanks dudes! | | |
#43969 06/11/2002 11:56 PM | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 1,586 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 1,586 | Check this out. cam specs | | |
#43970 06/12/2002 12:54 AM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 687 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 687 | tc,
Clifford Performance must be in financial trouble. I called them for prices on several hot items (as if I really would buy their overpriced parts from them) and the guy told me that many of the things I was looking for was discontinued. I wonder what's up? Is it the competition or are more people doing like myself (waiting on disappointed inline enthusiasts to dump their parts cheap on Ebay)? | | |
#43971 06/12/2002 10:19 AM | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 | You should be able to get nearly any cam from a reputable parts store for a better price.There at least a few cam makers that will help you with the lift and duration figures to get the performance you want.
There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us. - - Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
| | |
#43972 06/12/2002 12:20 PM | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 206 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 206 | Clifford Performance is going through an overhaul (maybe tuneup is a better description) after the passing of founder Jack Clifford. The business is still in the family and they are taking a hard look at what sells and what doesn't. Several longtime employees are no longer there, and it looks to be a pretty "tight ship" for a while. I Hope they weather the storm. | | |
#43973 06/12/2002 2:00 PM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 687 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 687 | Lowering their ridiculous prices might help. :rolleyes: | | |
#43974 06/12/2002 6:13 PM | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 206 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 206 | I don't think we'll be seeing lower prices from Clifford any time soon. Their latest (Jun 1) dealer price list showed increases of 30%-50% on many items. | | |
#43975 06/12/2002 6:21 PM | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 | Go to the links page and check out Patricks. He sells Howard's cams and lifters at a better price than I can get locally, and will give you lots of excellent advice on chosing the right cam to meet your needs. One point to remember, the more cubes you have, the hotter cam you can handle. I would not be afraid to put a full race cam in a 292, with the right carb setup it's very streetable. And don't put in a cam without improving the carb, headers, and exhaust. You'll be wasting your money.
Fred 52 3600 69 C-10
| | |
#43976 06/12/2002 9:44 PM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 687 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 687 | Fred T, Unfortunately Patrick's doesn't have a cam for my 292. I'll try Tom Langdon. Thanks! | | |
#43977 06/13/2002 8:36 AM | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 | I'd also try a local parts store. New enough engine they should be able to get one. Nothing against Langdon, though. Tom can give good advice, too.
Fred 52 3600 69 C-10
| | |
#43978 06/13/2002 5:13 PM | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 20 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 20 | To answer the original question, I would say that a mild cam is one that works well with stock components. Vacuum devices operate properly, intake and exhaust manifolds are adequate, carb should need no, or minor, tweaking, rear end gear does not need to be changed, gas mileage does not change too much- and may get better, fairly smooth idle..... There may be more, but that pretty well covers it, I think. Banjo 
1954 Chevy 3100 454, T-400, GM 14-Bolt Disc brake Monte Carlo Front Clip
| | |
#43979 06/13/2002 10:16 PM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 687 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 687 | Thanks for all the responses guys! | | |
#43980 06/30/2002 6:49 AM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 12 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 12 | If you are looking for a cam, try Mike Kirby at Sissell's Automotive, 1463 Virginia Ave. Baldwin Park, CA 91706. (626)960-1090 I bought a Crower cam for my "hot street" 292. His web site is at www.sisellsautomotive.com Very nice man I highly recomend him.
'64 C10-292 with TBI, 4speed, 3.42 rear
| | |
| |