The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Guitplayer, 78buckshot), 253 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#437441 07/31/2008 2:15 AM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 2
4
New Guy
New Guy
4 Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 2
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help. I bought a 1940 chevy truck and I'm trying to decifer the vin which is barely readable. So bad that the DMV won't accept it. I'm stuck as to being able to register it.I do not want to get new vin because it will be registered as a 2008. Any help to resolve would be appreciated. Vin code listing for 40 or maybe somewhrer I can get a new tag and try to reproduce.
thanks in advance.

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 338
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 338
The VIN decoder you are looking for is here on the bolt.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/39_40specs.html

And I bought a new body tag from Jim Carter. I see them on ebay as well.

Good Luck,


Bill Schickling

1940 1/2 ton, 1940 3/4 ton
My web page
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
If NY was an engine number state your "VIN" is most likely the number stamped on the boss behind the distributor. If it was AND you still have the original engine you should be good to go. If the engine number is the one you're having trouble reading try putting the light at an oblique angle and/or rubbing the number with a light colored crayon. All states have a method of resolving these problems. Your DMV should be able to give you the details. You may need to get a bill of sale from the previous owner if the VIN on the title is no longer on the truck.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0