The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Otto Skorzeny, Dennys28, Shade Baby, 49nut, 1 invisible), 62 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,649
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#437283 07/30/2008 4:02 PM
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 55
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 55
How many of you are running a rear transmission mount and how many are not on your AD/T-5 conversion? Any advice one way or the other?

Dave

Last edited by davealden; 07/30/2008 4:04 PM.
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
I've done it both ways with my T5 behind a 235. With the front engine mount and the two bell housing mounts I had some mixed feelings about bolting down the tailshaft of the aluminum-cased T5. With almost 5 feet of frame between the front and rear mounts I had concerns about frame flex placing an undue load on the transmission tail-shaft housing. Because of this, I ran the first 3K miles without the cross member with no evident ill effects.

Recently, I added my own cross made out of 1/2X2" flat stock with angles that let me add a rear mount to the flat S10 pad. However, I added some additional space under the rubber mount for some rubber pads and don't really torque down these rear mount bolts. If you have a brake booster, you may run into some additional clearance issues. The flat stock mounts on the bottom frame rail with a couple 1/2" bolts so dropping it is quick and easy and it gives me the visual effect that the rear is supported. With the heavy sm420 hanging off the bellhousing with no additional rear support, I wasn't really all that concerned.

In my opinion,and after running it both ways, I'd say that if it makes you feel better go for it. If you have booster/master clearance issues I really don't think that on a street machine driven under normal conditions, it wouldn't hurt to run without.
How's that for an ambiguous answer?

Dave


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 55
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 55
Dave,
Your first paragraph exactly explains my concerns which was the reason for my post. Thanks for your thoughts.

Dave

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I put a crossmember under the ones I do. I can' t see letting that long aluminum trans. hang in space like that. They are in Task Force trucks but it's the same setup.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I have no experience with this...
If I recall from 5 years ago while on a road trip through CA with my 52 when I met a guy with a 1/2 ton with T-5.
While I was looking at his truck, he explained that he used the cross-member from either the S10, or was it an Astro van? and the driveshaft from an Astro van. Supposedly the cross-member fits inside the frame and holes can be drilled to bolt it in, very little work.
Take this as a suggestion that a stock later model cross-member may fit, as again I have not done this.


Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0