The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (KEVINSKI, Mr Crosswrench, klhansen, Peggy M, 1 invisible), 138 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,133
Posts1,056,395
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 54
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 54
Hi Guys pizza man here. I have had a few calls to bring my truck to parties 50 miles away plus. I was wondering what or if would be an easy way to tow the truck instead of driving it. Like a flat tow with tow bar on front of truck or dolly like Uhaul rents?? Any thoughts??? oldworldpizzatruck.com Thanks, Jack

Last edited by jack02; 07/17/2008 10:10 PM.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,814
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,814
What kind of vehicle do you plan to tow with? The problem will be having enough brakes to stop the rig safely, and a 1 1/2 ton is a pretty heavy vehicle. There's no practical way to make the truck brakes work from the input of a tow vehicle, and a tow dolly big enough to carry the front end of a big rig safely would have to be custom-built from very heavy duty components.

I'd guess the tow rig would have to be at least the size and weight of !-ton dually pickup, or bigger,, and the antique truck would need to be carried on a tandem-axle gooseneck trailer with dual wheels and heavy-duty brakes to be safe on the road.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Something like this
[IMG]http://thumb9.webshots.net/t/58/458/3/29/25/2811329250080251109DYqOrz_th.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://thumb9.webshots.net/t/62/462/4/30/52/2664430520080251109waGtyD_th.jpg[/IMG]

I flat towed the red COE truck from Washington State to New York, no problems... but

You will need a serious truck to be the lead dog.
If I had tried it with a 3/4 or 1 ton it would have been fun, and not very safe.

The ford I used I had previously updated with huge disc brakes from a Freightliner and a Chevy Top-Kick, the truck weighed 10,000 lb empty, and I had over 3,000 lb extra in the bed, and it had about a 300 hp diesel.
The big brakes were absolutely necessary, and even at that I crawled down some of the bigger mountains (on the interstate) at 25 mph, even slower going up.
The substantial weight of the lead truck helped to keep everything pointed east. If I had less weight the tailing truck would have really pushed me around. Near the end of the trip I unloaded the 3,000 lb I had in my bed, and there was a noticeable difference in how the red truck pushed me around, not a good thing.
The combination of HP and good gear choices (10 speeds) was also helpful. At times on the highway going over a bump or bridge things would start to wiggle a bit, a brief application of fuel would straighten everything out right away. Having closely spaced gears helped to get moving without to much effort.

Your best bet is to use a stout enough trailer with good brakes, and a suitable truck.
The tow bar may be fine if you have a serious lead truck and are careful. Although it is really only good for going in straight lines, and takes turns badly, and really wide.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
As a rule of thumb, you need the same size vehicle in front, or better yet bigger, as in back. Be sure to drop the drive shaft in the towed vehicle to prevent burning up your transmission and be sure to tie the steering wheel, with a little slack, in the straight ahead position. I have towed a lot, but it is dangerous and I don't really recommend it.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Right, I did pull the axle shafts out, and also checked and repacked the rear wheel bearings (and drained the water out of the rear), replaced and greased the front wheel bearings, also backed off the brake adjusters just to be sure. I did not tie the steering wheel, and did not need to. I drug the front wheels sideways on some of the slow speed tight turns, would not have had much of the tires left if I had tied the wheel, as most of the time they followed pretty good on their own.

I also would not recommend this method of towing a truck, their are safer and better ways.

Have you inquired about having a professional tow / roll back, it may be cheaper than buying a good trailer, and certainly easier for you.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
If you're only going 50 miles or so, why not just drive it? It might take you an hour and a half, but by the time you load it, tie it down, and unload it again, you'd be halfway there driving it. Plus, the excercise certainly won't hurt it. And you won't have the expense of another vehicle and trailer.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
I'd drive it also. Better "PR". Towing it in, would make it look gimmicky. That's just my opinion.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 224
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 224
im with you spanky if you see me gettin towed its broke.
and a 1.5 ton truck dont make a good trailer queen

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I understand why driving it might seem a lot of trouble, but towing it will be more unless you have a real big truck up front.

I've hauled several 1-1/2- and 2-ton trucks on my 18 foot car trailer with a 1-ton and a 3/4-ton pickup up front. Every time I do it I swear I won't do it again. The last time I did it, with the 3/4-ton pickup doing the towing (my 1-ton was totaled late last year) I ended up towing no faster than the old truck on the trailer would have gone if it ran. I would have felt safer driving the old truck.

The suggestion that the lead truck weigh at least as much as the load is one I agree with, especially when the load has no brakes.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 54
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 54
Thanks to all as usual!!! Jack


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0