Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,120 Posts1,056,325 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 72 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 72 | I have a 57 with stock drivetrain and suspension. I have Firestone radials that have less than 5,000 miles on them. 235 with 3 speed. Truck gets a vibration at 60 miles an hour. Today I passed a car at about 65 -68 she really shook. Up to 58 miles an hour it is just fine. I do have plenty of peddle left at 60. Any ideas? I have bought new u joints as I thought that might be it, just haven't had a chance to replace them yet. I did replace all four shocks, and man does it handle a lot better. Shocks were really worn out.
Last edited by 57thekid; 06/15/2008 4:59 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 769 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 769 | First thing, did it vibrate before the new tires. Has anything else changed that could cause this. I would start by checking all of the front axle parts. Tie rod ends, drag link, king pins, wheel bearings, shocks. Have the alignment checked. Also check the drive shaft, are the u-joints worn? | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | 57thekid,
I usually go with the law of averages and that means the tires. A lot depends on what you classify as a vibration and where you feel it.
A vibration in the steering wheel usually points the fickle finger of fate at a front tire...or worn steering components.
A seat of the pants vibration would be a rear tire...or a drivline component on its way out.
Physically inspect the tires for splits, bumps or tumors. Jack the front end up and do a wiggle test.
If you have disposable income, take it to a tire shop and say...spin the suckers please! Good luck.
Stuart | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 72 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 72 | It has always done this since I have had this truck. I think it is aligned, shocks are new. No problems at all till I get to 60 or above. My guess is to take a look at the u-joints. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 72 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 72 | I don't think I have a tire problem. Vibration really feels like the whole truck is shaking. I don't really feel it in the steering wheel. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,082 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,082 | hello. i have a 57 also, and all new front suspension parts, king pins, newer tapered style tie rod ends, etc, but i also get a shake at 60mph. i jacked up my front end just until the tires were barely off the ground, and spun each front tire and found my drivers side tire is way out of round, like by 3/8 of an inch. so i suspect this is my problem,a nd will find out when i get my new front rims and tires in about a month.
also, believe it or not, i once had a 1970 mustang, got 4 new tires and had the front end all rebuilt. at about 60mph it would shake very violently,a nd i couldnt figure it out. well, my dad told me to check the tires as i described above, but found that i had a way out of round BACK tire. took it to a tire shop that trued tires, (its like a lathe machine that cuts rubber off to true it up), and after that it ran perfect. so even an out of round rear tire can cause the entire truck to shake. down here they dont true tires anymore, for some reason. if you have an out of round tire, you will just have to replace it.
hope this helps.
leonard | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Check the lug nuts for looseness. Could also be a bent wheel or out of round tire. I can tell you that Firestones are bad about having heavy spots in them, especially thir truck tires. Another thing to check is runout of the mounting flanges of the axle shafts and front hubs. If there's too much runout, it will cause a vibration. Alignment has been mentioned, and while it is a good idea for maximum tire life, alignment will not cause or cure a vibration.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 154 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 154 | Check your U-Joints in the drive shaft. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | Put the back tires on the front and see if you can feel a difference. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 172 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 172 | i have a similar problem in my truck, and am not meaning to hijack the thread, but what exactly should i look for when checking the u-joints? | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 72 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 72 | Changed u-joints, rear was bad. Made guite a difference. Now at higher speeds, I can feel just a little shake,will check tire balance. Man, whoever changed them before beat the heck out of the yokes. We had to do some repair work to do it right. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | Jack up the rear end & put stands under the axle. Let the weight down on the axle. Remove the rear wheels. Put nuts back on the drums or pull the drums. Run it up to 60-65 in high gear & see if you still get the vibration. You might check the engine/trans mounts & pinion angle. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 72 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 72 | What should I look for when checking engine/trans mounts? And being the shade tree mechanic I am, what do you mean by pinion angle. Thanks! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 385 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 385 | Pinion angle is a little more complicated to check than most things. You might want to have a shop do it. Basically, the rear end of the transmission tail shaft is probably not going to be at the same height as the input to the rear end, so the drive shaft has to run down at an angle from transmission to rear axle. Oddly enough the angle of the rear end input shaft is usually not horizontal. It will usually be angled upward 4 or more degrees toward the front of the truck. I've always assumed that this is to reduce torque effects, but maybe someone can give us the real reason. A big related problem is driveshaft U-joint phasing. For an explanation a lot better than I can give, check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_joint in the Angular Velocity section. If someone has buggered up your drive shaft, such as replacing yokes, this might be a problem. Bent wheels have been a problem for me. My 1973 Chevy C-30 had some unusual wear on the tires when I bought it, so I went to the local truck tire place to get some new ones. They noticed that both of my front wheels were bent, quite noticeably. The symptom was a shake in the front end between 47 and 55 mph. It was fine at all other speeds.
195? Chevy 3800 dump truck 1973 Chevy C30 cab and chassis 1987 Suburban 3/4 ton 6.2L Diesel
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 72 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 72 | I just read the thread on wheels and tires. That is one problem I have had also. I adjusted my steering column to tighten her up a little. I think I am getting a lot closer but am wondering that the fact I have a wider tire than normal in front is affecting the steering and leading to the vibration. Truck has P225/70515's on front and back. Any thoughts? | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 | HMMM, your comment on the beat up yokes leads to a ? of a driveshaft out of balance??? or a yoke on the trans or rear that is bent out of alignment???? that may be your culprit...PREVIOUS OWNER SYNDROME!!!! | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 72 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 72 | Yes, I was wondering that too. Also previous owner had paint the drive shaft very heavy with black paint. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 172 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 172 | i just replaced my u joints the other day and my vibration is now gone!! man i was so stoked driving down the road. that thing was smooth as butter no matter how fast i was going. its a good thing i just changed them rather than taking the driveshaft to get rebalanced which i was just about to do haha. thanks for the help. | | |
| |