The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Bill Hanlon, Gdads51, NorCal52Suburban, 1 invisible), 117 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,258
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#42744 02/02/2005 4:06 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
As I have not yet had any advice let me rephrase my question. Seems that all the literature is saying we should replace our old ball/socket tie rod ends with new style ones. I can still get MOOG old style tie rod ends and was looking for a pro or con answer. Thanks.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
#42745 02/02/2005 1:54 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 86
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 86
I don't know about pro or con But i replaced mine with the old style. I figure if they worked for GM back then they should work for me. I may add my truck is totally stock, if you made some horsepower changes you may want something else.


47.5 Loadmaster 5 window
48 Chevy 3600
69 GTO convertible
#42746 02/02/2005 5:27 PM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 481
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 481
I don't see any reason to keep the old tie rods ends unless you prefir the appearance of the older units. The older tie rods ends are more open to the elements and require more attention.
I prefir original restorations so I'm keeping mine. cool

#42747 02/03/2005 5:51 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
My truck is stock power-wise. Just seems that every catalog you look at seem to be pushing the new style rod ends. If the ball is oval I guess it would be wise to replace the ends. Otherwise it does not get exposaed to any salt or much water and is greased about every 1000 miles. Then there are the naysayers who claim the old style are dangereous, I suppose without proper lube and maintenance. I can get original style from MOOG but they are pricey compared to the new type.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0