The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Wally / Montana, Guitplayer, Jon G), 126 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,717
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 72
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 72
Hi Guys,
I have my 49 GMC 1/2 ton ready to put the wiring back in and I was wondering which method would be the easiest or best. The 49 has a V8 and a steering column from my 77 GMC truck in it. I was going to use a wiring harness from my 77 GMC truck and mod it to fit my 49. Or would it be easier to use the stock 49 harness and adapt them to the 12 volt system? Or should I buy a harness from Painless?

Thanks.

kskt4

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
you can get harnesses from a number of suppliers designed for your year with the necessary changes for modern columns and V8s with alternator, saves re-inventing if you can afford it

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
I'll second red's comments. Buy a new 18 / 20 Cct. harness and save yourself a lot of grief.


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
I would not trust 30+ year old wiring. You will be removing it from the donor and working it into the 49. Lots can happen that you wouldn't want to happen.


~Jim
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 72
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 72
Thanks Guys,
Any dealers up in Canada where I could get a 18 or 20 circuit harness? I know of The Old Car Center in Langley.

kskt4

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
the OCC can fix you up, 21 circuit set from American Autowire for any column you have and at a good price, give'em a call

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
You could try http://www.ezwiring.com/ they do pre wired fuse blocks with GM.connectors. They also mark everything every 5" so it's EZ!
I paid $185 for peace of mind! wink


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
I started wiring mine today. I'm using a painless harness I bought years ago from someone on this sight for a killer price. I was a bit hesitant to begin but it looks quite simple. All the wires are marked the full length of each wire taking out the guess work. I would definately recommend this kit.


Robert C.
If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.

1950 3600
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 435
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 435
Easiest isn't always the best. With that said, get a new harness from whichever vendor you want, (I've had a personal issue with American Autowire and can't recomend them)and when you're done have peace of mind as you ride and guide your new truck, smiling with the knowledge that this is one thing you won't be working on from the shoulder of the road with a flashlight in the rain.


dj durant

1964 Chevrolet C-10 Pickup Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
Just ordered my harness from American Autowire. ... should be here this week sometime. The painless seemed to be easier to install but I decided on the American A. because I will be able to mount my fuse box anywhere I want or need to.


~Jim

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0