The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 191 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#419183 06/02/2008 7:54 PM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 166
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 166
The odd time as I disconnect my battery after I run her for a few times a week. The battery cables and connectors get hot. Theres old wiring still but is this an indicator of something besides well,....old wiring?.....lol. Thanx Guys ! Cheerz !

p.s Motomaster Eliminator 875 cca brand new.

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
I know that mine get hot after cranking the engine if it doesn't start right away but if it starts right off(or close to it) they stay relatively cool. Could the toastiness be caused by a lot of resistance in the wiring? (PLEASE wait for someone else to chime in, I'm only 13!)


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
You are right about resistance causing heat. It can be be a dirty terminal, a bad connection where the wire is molded into the connector or a bad connection at the starter or ground. Remember that 6 volts pulls twice the amperage as 12 volts and you need thicker cables. I run over the road trucks, and we replace cables if they get warm at all. A failure away from home can be expensive. A dragging starter, that is a starter with worn out bushings, will draw more current. Try to isolate where the heat is coming from.

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
Crenwelge, wouldn't his bus be 12v?


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
If it is a 66 bus, it would be a 12 volt. I assumed it was an older vehicle. However, all of the other things to check hold true for 6 or 12 volt. Our trucks are 12 volt and we use a heat sensor to find weak connections.

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
Only reason I asked was because you mentioned 6v.


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0