The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (78buckshot, Roy Rodgers, Gray_Ghost, 2-Ton), 100 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
I'm at work at the moment, but plan to swing by Sears at the end of the day. I have a master cylinder rebuild kit on the way, and need to buy the properly sized flare nut wrench so that I can strip the fittings at the master cylinder prior to taking it off. What size wrench is needed?

Would it be better to skip the wrench purchase, save my money, and just strip the fittings with vise-grips instead?

I already bought some PB Blaster to make the job messy from the get-go.

Is it the same fitting size at the master cylinder as at the wheels?

One last question- what size hone should I be looking for to try to clean up the master cylinder cylinder? I want it to look good before I take it to a machine shop for re-sleeving.

(I guess from my tone, you are getting the feeling that I'm not expecting much from this project.)

Any advice appreciated.

Bill

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Bill, just buy the set of 3 flare wrenches, (6 sizes).

A master cylinder hone is spring loaded to adjust to the size it's used in.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
I know what you are talking about, with the wrench set. Will do.

The hone- I thought they came in size ranges. Am I needing one that is something like 3/4 to 1-1/4 inch diameters? How big is that ID? Is it as much as 1-1/2" I can't get my brain around it.


Bill

Last edited by TxLaTx; 04/30/2008 9:07 PM.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 289
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 289
Bill,

I think the fronts are 1.25" Id and rears are 1.0". I put a $6.00 flaps rebuild kit in one of mine without honing it. Seems to work fine. FLAPS may be less for an assy than the machine shop; the part suppliers are way high on wheel cylinders. I found out the hard way I have some sticky pistons on my motorcycle (see my greasy spoon post 4/29) and I have cleaned those up years ago just using a scotch brite. Time to do it again. LOL.


Eric
http://s1199.photobucket.com/user/sparky234/library/My%2057%20Chevy%20Stepside?sort=3&page=1
'57 Chevy 3100 (Little Red)
'81 RD350 LC - Fun, Fun, Fun
'83 GS1100E - Pocket Rocket
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
Eric, I think you are referring to the wheel cylinders. I was wondering about the ID of the master cylinder.

That said, thanks for the info- I didn't realize I could buy WC rebuild kits locally, and for so cheap. Wow! That is good info to have.

Bill

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
inch & 1/8 for the TF master ... should be able to get kits for them at NAPA, whole new masters as well [Raybestos # MC21680], virtually all the TF brake parts are still available from Raybestos, Wagner, Bendix

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics

Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0