| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,230 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 118 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 118 | Changed 90 wt gear oil out of 4 speed . in 1960 c10. After I put it in I read the bottle, 90 wt boat lower unit gear oil. I don,t think this is anything to worry about ,or am I wrong? Ken | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | Ken,
See if the label mentions GL-5 anywhere. I'm sure you are OK.
Stuart | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 118 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 118 | Well it said something about gl 5 I will look at bottle to check. It was not a syn product. Ken p.s do you want gl5 or not? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 118 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 118 | The bottle reads exceeds API recommended GL5 levels. It was Castrol Brand.I think its o.k.
Ken | | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 |
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | should be ok.... ever spill any gear oil and had to clean it up.. that is some bad smelling stuff.... Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 | I believe the Lower Unit lube just has a few additives to make it extra sticky and displace moisture in a marine environment that is why it is more pricey than straight 90w. Actually it is prob. a bit better than straight lube. I know a half a qrt. of Johnson lower unit lube for my bass boat is like $12.00, but I have to use or void my warrenty. Tim | | |
| |
| |