The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (moparguy, stlcardinalsguy, Cosmo), 141 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,182
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#398324 04/06/2008 1:41 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 118
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 118
Changed 90 wt gear oil out of 4 speed . in 1960 c10. After I put it in I read the bottle, 90 wt boat lower unit gear oil. I don,t think this is anything to worry about ,or am I wrong?
Ken

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Ken,

See if the label mentions GL-5 anywhere. I'm sure you are OK.

Stuart

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 118
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 118
Well it said something about gl 5 I will look at bottle to check. It was not a syn product.
Ken
p.s do you want gl5 or not?

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 118
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 118
The bottle reads exceeds API recommended GL5 levels.
It was Castrol Brand.I think its o.k.

Ken

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
It will be fine.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
should be ok.... ever spill any gear oil and had to clean it up.. that is some bad smelling stuff....


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
I believe the Lower Unit lube just has a few additives to make it extra sticky and displace moisture in a marine environment that is why it is more pricey than straight 90w.
Actually it is prob. a bit better than straight lube. I know a half a qrt. of Johnson lower unit lube for my bass boat is like $12.00, but I have to use or void my warrenty.
Tim


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0