The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 163 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#394232 03/28/2008 4:16 AM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 283
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 283
Hi everybody - I'm new - been watchin' a while but just bought the 56 Cameo and it needs new tires so I need some advice. Still sporting old, cracked, but lots of tread left Sears 670X15 Allstate WSW bias plies -- that ride like ice cubes. Coker and American Classics in 3" WSW (P235s) all take 15X6+ wheels vs the old 15X5s on the truck. Will going to a wider wheel cause any problems anybody knows of? How wide (staying at 15") can you go before you're hosed? Cameo is original, 235,standard w/OD, no changes. Thanks - and I'm glad to be here ---- Dale ___ PS this is probably an age old question so if there is a previous post you can direct me to - I'll sure go there.

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 709
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 709
Dale, welcome to the Stovebolt site. As for the wheel concern, I ran modern metric radials on my 59 with the stock rims with no problem other than having to use a tube in one due to a very minor leak without it. Don't believe you will have any problems using the wheels you have unless you intentionally want to go with a wider one. Hold on and you're sure to get other opinions on your inquiry. Will add that you will be nagged to post pics of your truck so let me be the first. You may also want to post pics and your story in the Gallery. For future reference the forums do have a good search feature you may want to check out. Most times you will find an answer to your questions in a previous post then again sometimes you won't. Again, WELCOME ABOARD.


Bruce
Old Toy: Ol' Betsy stock 59 Apache SB Stepside (Gone but not Forgotten)
New Toy: 1962 Impala SS Coupe
The Driver: 1990 Toyota truck
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
yes dale, welcome to the garage - as Bruce says, the radials will work fine on your original rims, although if they are original, they should be 5.5" rather than 5, I don't think 6" showed up in the 15's until many years later, but any GM truck rims would work except for not having the hubcap clips after 1960

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
You can probably go to a 7" wheel without any problems. I have seen 8" wheels on them. The key is the back space which should not exceed 3 1/2" or the tire will hit the drag link. Another issue to remember is that a larger/wider tire will make the truck much harder to steer for parking. I use 225/75/15 on 6" wheels on my 56. I also have power steering.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 283
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 283
Hi Bruce, Fred and Bill, and many thanks for the welcome! That friendliness is what really attracted me to this site, and I am really looking forward to the sharing. The wheels were a mystery to me, but you all have helped a lot . My real interest in going wider is to get the wider WSW for "the look". Standard size like the 670 gets you 2 1/8" - to get to 3" you have to go to wider rims, but Fred you gave me some food for thought. Its hard enough to turn now for parking, why make it harder just for looks? Power steering ---hmmm, can I? Anyway, you all answered my question - I can if I want to - now up to me. Bruce, I am looking at Gallery and will get story and pics up as soon as I can figure it out. Thanks again guys, you're great! Dale


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0