The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (frogfarmer, Mike B, dt235sd), 126 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,116
Posts1,056,641
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl
Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
How many quarts is the original radiator, and is there any specific thing I need to put in it?


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
16 quarts http://chevy.tocmp.com/shop/1954truck/54ctsm0684.html
You'll want to use a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water, the regular green stuff, the "mix with any color" antifreeze will be fine, too. I personally prefer to mix it myself than use the pre-mix stuff, it's cheaper and you can control the mix ratio better.
BTW, before you get too deep in, you'll want to get a shop manual, or at least add the link I posted to favorites for referrence.

Last edited by LONGBOX55; 03/06/2008 10:33 PM.

Bill Burmeister
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl
Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
Thank you, I've already bookmarked it.


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl
Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
How many quarts do I put in? I know that you don't fill it all the way up, for the expansion(?) purposes of the antifreeze/water mix.


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
For the most part, it's generally accepted to just fill it to where the coolant is just above the tubes in the core.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl
Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
I looked in the manual(online) and figured it out, so now it's about an inch from the top, and just a little above the tube.


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl
Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
Oh, and as you probably figured out, since I got the fluid to stay in,......... THE RADIATOR IS IN PERFECT CONDITION!!!!!!!!!! No crap or anything came out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just the drain had some stuff plugging it, but that was on the outside.


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 58
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 58
Here's one for jdl,
You could always replace that rad. with a new aluminum one and go and run racing coolant. I have an Air Mobile 2 row 1 inch tube aluminum with Evans Cooling NPG+ Coolant good for 375 degrees. Straight coolant no water. Bit pricey though. They're located in Penn. with dealers nationwide.

Dave


1954 custom 1-ton (1 of a kind)
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl
Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
Well, for now, since that radiator is in PERFECT condition, I'll stick with it.


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 58
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 58
Well stick with it. We can't keep the hobby going if the kids aren't interested in it.
Dave


1954 custom 1-ton (1 of a kind)
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 156
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 156
Jordan,

You really won't know what shape your radiator is in until you run the engine and let it heat up and pressurize. Mine holds the coolant fine but when the engine heats up it leaks at the top seam. Fortunately it is an easy and inexpensive repair.

You should make a list of questions you have and go to link LONGBOX55 gave you and do some research. You will learn a lot from the online manuals, and get answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet. You should also get the casting numbers off the block and head and the engine serial number to see what you really have.

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl
Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
Jim, I will do that. Since the radiator was almost full when I took off the cap, and it made a hissing noise when I took off the cap, I presume that the radiator WAS pressurized, and therefor it didn't leak so it might be in good condition?


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
Jordan:
How much is your allowance?

You should hit the family up for an increase so you can buy all the neat stuff you're gonna want for the old truck. Maybe you could mow yards in the summer or a part time job at McDonald's in a few years when you're old enough. You might also make friends at a nearby machine shop for advice and a little assist with technical jobs.


~Jim
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl
Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
Allowance? In the summer, when I go to my dad's, I get $20 at a time when I mow the yard. At my mom's, I mow the yard, and other stuff, but I don't get an allowance though. I usually just ask her to buy me something if I need it.

P.S. My neighbor has alot of tools and knowledge on working on things. I'm not sure, but I think he used to be a mechanic. So chances are, if I can't get something done on the truck, I'll ask him if he'll help.


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
Jordan,
Ya might want to offer the neighbor with the tools and knowlege your grass mowin service for his help this summer ???. ya never know ya might make a great freind/teacher?
A young man such as yourself with limited funds will need some assistance to proceede very far on your project,an nothin shows ambition better than workin a bit for what you are getting.
It is nice to see your enthusiasm.
Tim


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0