Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (GRNHydra, 1955 1 Series, NAPCOStormTrpr, joe apple, Charles in CA, klhansen, DBJ71SuperCustom, dt235sd, 1 invisible),
101
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,079 Posts1,056,286 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#38261 04/21/2003 2:04 PM | Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 22 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 22 | I have a 1954 GMC 1/2-ton PU and it is missing the vin ID plate on the door post, does anyone know if the numbers were stamped in the frame?
Jim
| | |
#38262 04/21/2003 5:57 PM | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 427 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 427 | The chassis id number is only found on the ID plate on the driver's door hingpost.
You can use one of the history companies that advertise in Hemmings to see if they can produce the original chassis id number from early registrations, but in all likelihood you are screwed for coming up with the original number. | | |
#38263 04/21/2003 7:42 PM | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 385 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 385 | I heard a rumor that they stamped the VIN into the frame near the right front suspension mounts starting in '55. I didn't find any such number on mine, so I would guess that was a TF series addition. Rob, can you verify my VIN deciphering ability? Near as I can tell from your instructions my numbers break down as follows: 25324CZ1508(25) means 250 series, (3) means 137" wheelbase, (24) means 248 cu.in. engine, (C) is Oakland, (Z) is 1954. Are the last 4 digits production number, and if so, what did they start with in '54? Since this truck has always been registered as '55, I would guess this was built at the end of '54 and sold in '55. Am I in the ballpark? :confused: | | |
#38264 04/22/2003 3:52 AM | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | You might want to consider this Ebay item. | | |
#38265 04/22/2003 1:34 PM | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 427 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 427 | Hedge: You are spot on.
They started with 1001 and your truck would be the 508th one ton off the Oakland line in '54. | | |
#38266 04/22/2003 7:59 PM | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 385 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 385 | Thanks, Rob. I don't suppose anyone knows where to find total production numbers for '54? I'm always getting questions about the rarity of the truck, and no basis for an educated guess. I usually just say, "Well, I only have the one..."  | | |
#38267 04/23/2003 5:33 PM | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 427 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 427 | You have the only one. No others were ever made. This is the ultimate rare truck. Ok all the [img] http://www.nedirtbikes.com/forum/smiles/bsflag.gif[/img] aside - hard to say. There are no production numbers available for '54 that I know of. I have TOTAL production for ALL trucks, but not for any particular size style etc. In general, GMC made 10-15,000 3/4 tons per year in the early and mid 50s from what I can tell. Of those, maybe 2000 were from Oakland and similar amounts from the St. Louis plant. Assuming that 25% of the trucks survived, 2,000 Oakland trucks become 500 or so that might still be around. It's an impossible number to develop but this is an "edumacated guess". | | |
#38268 04/23/2003 8:21 PM | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 | Of course, the 1-ton panels that Hedgehog and I have were a much smaller portion of the production run than 1-ton pickups, making them freaks of nature. Mine being the freakier with the Deluxe trim package.  Now all we need is a 1-ton GMC Canopy Express with the curved windshield to walk in here. | | |
#38269 04/24/2003 1:20 AM | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 385 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 385 | Originally posted by Hedgehog: I usually just say, "Well, I only have the one..." Originally posted by OldCarKook: You have the only one. ...and it's just that easy.  Another legendary rare truck is born! LOL! Now I need to make up a list of bogus facts and sell it on Ebay for $100K!  | | |
| |