The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (BC59, klhansen, mick53, 1955 1 Series), 102 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,277
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 85
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 85
Howdy folks! I'm just starting a restoration project that has been sitting in my yard for quite a while, and when I started the project I figured finding a forum community focused on similar trucks would be helpful, so here I am!
The Truck (as best as I can tell so far): 1948 Chevrolet Loadmaster 1.5ton Flatbed Fire truck. I believe that it was originally belonged to the McAllen, TX Fire dept and thus I have hopes of finding some pictures of it new or at least when it was in service so that I can put it back as close to original as possible! I think everything is original with the exception of a few additions, but no subtractions or replacements. I have not yet determined if I am going to do a WHOLE BUNCH of body work, or just do a bunch of body work and find replacement cab and hood. I will post pictures here when I figure out how to do that! For now, there is one picture of it before I started on it on my website: www.kineticfreight.com It is in the last picture. I imagine you all can pick it out fairly easily!

Laterz, (and thanks in advance for all the great advice that I'm sure is to follow)
Gator
>|--|~

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Gator5713, firstly welcome to the site, check out a thread "update pictures and thanks to all" here in the big bolts forum, this gentleman has already done what you are about to do. Sorry I'm not confusilator savy enough to post the link, just look for that in the subject spot, good luck with your project, and again welcome

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
Link: https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/148475#Post148475

Take your time and enjoy it. BTW: Welcome and good luck!

Last edited by Virginiafiretruck; 02/18/2008 10:51 PM.

Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Welcome to Stovebolt.com, Gator! You're in good company here! There's a few fire truck guys in here so don't be shy with any questions you might have.

Also, be sure to use the menu bar at the top of the page to check out the other areas of the web site -- we are now more than 20,000 pages of info here!

Regards,
John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 85
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 85
Thanks everybody! Pictures are on the other computer, so I will try to get them up later today.
VirginiaFireTruck: I'm Jealous! But mine is a *EDIT* 7 window! Hahaha...

I am actually putting together a new website dedicated to my friend and my projects/adventures starting with this truck. He should be in here soon as soon as his login gets approved. Having that site will allow me to host my own pictures instead of using snapfish, webshots, etc...

So far we have knocked the dust, and some rust, off, got the engine broke loose using a "DirtyMax Wrench" (oops, it was still in gear when we hooked it up to my "Little" truck to move it) fortunately I had already put tranny fluid/ diesel mix down all of the cylinders working towards that eventuality. The right front wheel was locked up. 3 hrs with various whack-a-moles and the drum is finally off! Of course the wheel cylinders are completely seized, but the brake shoes (and actually the linings too) are in great shape as well as the drums, spindles, etc. I intend to replace all of the hoses, but i believe the steel lines are in fine shape. I am debating a disc brake conversion, or stick with the drums... Any suggestions?
Next biggest dillema... I am pretty decent at body work, and Lightning (my partner in crime) is a pretty decent welder... But... How hard is it going to be for us to find a cab and hood that are in decent shape? I know that I can fix this one, but if I can find better ones that will save us a WHOLE BUNCH of time effort and energy! and I believe that the finished product will come out much better.
Thanks again.
Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~

Last edited by Gator5713; 02/21/2008 12:04 AM. Reason: wrong # of windows
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 195
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 195
Welcome to the Stovebolt Gator. The truck looks very interesting.


Red meat is not bad for you.........Fuzzy green meat is bad for you!

"What happens in the garage stays in the garage!"

1958 Chevy Spartan 100 firetruck in the Gallery
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
I'd think in Texas, you could still find body parts in good condition. Good luck! Pictures are important!


Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Welcome Gator!

Do your self a big favor and replace ALL of your brake lines (rubber and steel). The steel lines rust from the inside out, so they can look good and fail when you need them most! The old fluid absorbs moisture which causes rust on the inside of the lines.

Be Safe!

Mike B


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
that will be a neat truck, a local rural fire dept. around me still has their original 1951 or 52 fire truck all redone and ready for shows


1949 Chevy 3600 Flatbed all orginal
1964 gmc 4000
1973 gmc 6000
2005 chevy duramax 4x4
1994 chevy 1500
Trucks are GM and Tractors are Orange

"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom." - General George S. Patton
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
Welcome Gator. Looking forward to seeing more pictures.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 7
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 7
Welcome Gator! I haven't been around here in a while, and I don't visit this site near often enough but maybe this spring, when I get to working on this '54 of mine, I'll be back more for a lot of HELP!!

http://imageevent.com/singsaasfamily/1954chevyfiretruck;jsessionid=btdl6f1ph1.zebra_s

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 13
L
New Guy
New Guy
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 13
hi all im the infamous or not so Lightning gator spoke of and just thought i would take a min and stop by and say hi i look forward to talking to you all and thank every one in advance for there help and encouragement we will be making a website for the truck and our other projects as we get them and work on them any how hi and talk to you soon.


to much to do to little time to do it all
McAllen, TX

1948 Chevy Loadmaster flatbed fire truck
http://rides.webshots.com/album/562569229snLyQV?vhost=rides
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 13
L
New Guy
New Guy
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 13
hear are some pics of the truck where i found it
http://community.webshots.com/album/562569229snLyQV?vhost=community

as previously stated when we get the trucks site going we will have many more pics and will be updating them as we go

Last edited by Lightning13; 02/21/2008 11:41 PM.

to much to do to little time to do it all
McAllen, TX

1948 Chevy Loadmaster flatbed fire truck
http://rides.webshots.com/album/562569229snLyQV?vhost=rides
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
Ummm . . . . Gator?

That is without a doubt one of the strangest fire trucks I have ever seen, and I've been nutz about fire trucks for 10 years now.

I haven't EVER seen a "flat-bed" fire truck, other than one that was meant to haul a dozer or something for brush fires.

That pipe sticking up on the drivers side running board is usually to hold a Hydrant Wrench, which you don't really need, unless your truck has a PUMP! Did this truck ever have a pump? What are the pipes sticking up behind the cab - are those just to protect the cab? Or former plumbing?

Anyway, it's a cool, beefy lookin' truck! Seems like it would hold a house!

Gotta admit . . . you got me head-scratching on this one . . . headscratch


Please type slow, as I can't read very fast.

1939 Chevy/Central Fire Engine
1941 Chevy/American Fire Engine
1950 Chevy/American Fire Engine
In the Gallery
More Photos in Me Gallery
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
mikestem,
could it be missing a hugh water tank? like one of those big water trucks they use for watering construcion sites, may be somebody has taken it off over the years to use the tank and pump on something else


1949 Chevy 3600 Flatbed all orginal
1964 gmc 4000
1973 gmc 6000
2005 chevy duramax 4x4
1994 chevy 1500
Trucks are GM and Tractors are Orange

"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom." - General George S. Patton
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 85
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 85
As far as what WAS on the bed... I as of yet have absolutely no idea! I paid a visit to our local historical museum trying to find a picture of it when it was in service and got some potential leads on people that may know something... My guess is that it held either a tank or a pump, but that is only a guess. The pipes on the bed were simply bolted to the wood planking and it appeared as though they had been cut off, so I am not sure if they were there to hold something or what... Also, previously, a restoration had been begun on this truck, so those pipes may not be original at all! I doubt that it was used for hauling a dozer or anything like that as there are no tie-down points or ramp holders. and the rear bumper is quite long (so no dock loading either...)
Any and all insight is welcomed.
Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 13
L
New Guy
New Guy
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 13
i got some more of the pictures up on the same site and im just as confused as you all are about what she was used for, and/or what was on her bed, my best guess is that she was a hose truck strictly but who knows there are a few holes in the top of the rear fender where something may have been previously mounted but once again still confused we are working hard to try and figure it out and im going to make some phone calls right now to try and find a picture or something.


to much to do to little time to do it all
McAllen, TX

1948 Chevy Loadmaster flatbed fire truck
http://rides.webshots.com/album/562569229snLyQV?vhost=rides
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
Great pictures! I'd guess it held a water tank but you never know what has happened to these old trucks in the last 55+ years.


Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
Yep, Watertank is a good possibility. Knowing the history of the town it first served in can provide clues. Small, rural, volunteer depts. needed tanker trucks, since rural areas weren't well covered by hydrant systems. They also were often not wealthy departments, and necessity led many to make their own tanker and pump trucks to save money. Regardless, it will be interesting to find out, and in the mean time, cool truck to play with!

You know, as I think about it, it would be a FANTASTIC parade truck! With that big flat bed, you could put a BAND up there! Or like 30 people! It's a great "float" truck! The possibilities are endless!!! grin dance


Please type slow, as I can't read very fast.

1939 Chevy/Central Fire Engine
1941 Chevy/American Fire Engine
1950 Chevy/American Fire Engine
In the Gallery
More Photos in Me Gallery
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
I agree. You could put lots of folks on it or carry anything(sign, band, floats) to make a big parade splash!


Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 85
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 85
Yeah, Parades are a good part of our intentions. However I have a pretty decent "Float" already! LOL. 53' goose flatbed can hold an awful lot of people too!
I am hoping to have some time on Monday to follow up on some of the other leads that I mentioned earlier. I will probably be fairly quiet on this site (and on progress) soon as I really need to get back to work this week, and I am typically out for about a month or better at a time!
Thanks for the encouragement on the project... It is good to know that we aren't completely nuts, ok, maybe we are, but...
Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0