The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (GRNHydra, Oswald, 1955 1 Series, Nick in Manitou, Wayne67vert, Woodcmiami), 112 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,124
Posts1,056,334
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
We're getting there! Over the holidays, I got the hood on and the hood emblem. Yesterday (Christmas Eve), I got it out of the shop so I could clean up and get everything squared away from tree sales so I could get back to work on it over the winter. As I had it outside on a beautiful winter day (here in Maryland, anyway...) I took it for a drive up the driveway (1/2-mile to the mail box and back). It has no glass installed yet, I was sitting on a feed bucket and it has an outboard motor gas tank... but it drove like a dream! Man, those brakes are touchy with no weight on the back!

Thought you all might like to see it.

Here's the photo from Christmas Eve

Regards,
John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,399
B
Camp Commandant
Camp Commandant
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,399
Looking good, and even better in person. So it will be finished by the Leonard Town show right......


~ Billy
Old Dominion Stovebolt Society: Exotic Animal Division
1946 Chevrolet Cab Over Engine | In the Gallery | Video | More pictures
1959 GMC 860 | Pictures
1950 Chevrolet 3800 | Pictures
I've got a trailer and I'm not afraid to use it!
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 190
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 190
Way to go John, that truck is looking real good and I can just imagine the thrill of your ride, good job.

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
Very nice John. As I said before, your next project should be a COE. I'm not rushing you though.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Looks great!

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
John,
your truck looks great. Those original looking tall tires really set it off. I would imagine that driving it was a thrill. It just gets even better from here. When I finally got to drive mine I was a bit shaky!

Fred


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 394
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 394
Doing a great job John, thumbs_up keep us posted, Now with the holiday rush over you should have time to get back to work on it full time grin. with out the grill in it looks like my Dad with no teeth grin . by the way tell Peggy hi wave


Drive with Pride. mike j
family pic
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
The sheet metal looks great.

Nice looking truck. Keep us posted.

Bill


'60-'72 Chev/GMC Fan
GMC 9500 Fan
Detroit Diesel Fan
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
It looks wonderful John. I know Progress is a great feeling.
Cleon


Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the nearer the end the faster it goes.




1949 Chevy 6400
1931 Chevy Firetruck



Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
Looking good, John!! It's always fun to drive them for the first time!


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 195
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 195
Hey, the truck is coming along! Very nice but the bucket seat would not be vintage! Ha!


Red meat is not bad for you.........Fuzzy green meat is bad for you!

"What happens in the garage stays in the garage!"

1958 Chevy Spartan 100 firetruck in the Gallery
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
It wouldn't?? But they had buckets in 1949 wink

Thanks!

John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 385
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 385
Great looking truck. I'm not sure I want to show that picture to my wife for fear that she will ask why our 51 doesn't look much like it, yet.

Interesting comment about the brakes. The '73 1 ton doesn't have a bed on it right now, and doesn't have a whole lot of traction, but I hadn't thought about the effect on the brakes.


195? Chevy 3800 dump truck
1973 Chevy C30 cab and chassis
1987 Suburban 3/4 ton 6.2L Diesel
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Stark -- Yup, with nothing on the chassis back there, they lock up pretty easy. Same with my firetruck (tanker) -- the brakes are set up for max gross weight (20,000 lbs), so empty, they're touchy, too. There's a permanent set of short skid marks right at the stop sign down at the end of our road -- cause that's the first place I hit the brakes when I go out...

As for your truck and wife -- it's actually really easy to make a truck look good -- all you need is just a bunch of money, time, effort, patience and skill. But I've found that Photoshop is easier than Bondo ... wink

grin

John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 222
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 222
Looks really great! The ride had to be a rush!
Rick

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 140
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 140
looks good. Maybe my 48 will look that good one day


Now boltless but looking
1951 F-1 350/350
1965 Mustang 355 glide
1971 F-100 401 fe it hates me
1972 Maverick 302 c4
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Originally Posted by Jarred
looks good. Maybe my 48 will look that good one day

I'll second that,
Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 568
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 568
Be really great to see um all together in the same place running. cool


Mike
1952 Chevrolet 2-Ton 6400
"Dempsey"
In the Gallery
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 382
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 382
Gettin' closer.....that works!

Looking real good! Thanks for the picture! thumbs_up


1948 Chevrolet 1-Ton Grain Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery SOLD
More pix in Photobucket

"A Man & His Truck--It's a Beautiful Thing!"

"You're never 100% ready, you're just next"....Ty Murray
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Now the seats are in, the doors are done (except for the weather seals) and all the glass is in!

Reupholstered Seats!!

This thing might be driveable for the Homecoming!

dance
John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,399
B
Camp Commandant
Camp Commandant
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,399
I liked the seat that was in (ok ON) it at Winchester!


~ Billy
Old Dominion Stovebolt Society: Exotic Animal Division
1946 Chevrolet Cab Over Engine | In the Gallery | Video | More pictures
1959 GMC 860 | Pictures
1950 Chevrolet 3800 | Pictures
I've got a trailer and I'm not afraid to use it!
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 568
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 568
Steering wheel looks close, You gonna fit in there


Mike
1952 Chevrolet 2-Ton 6400
"Dempsey"
In the Gallery
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Bill -- I liked that seat, too. But the Missus said to get her good chair back in the kitchen or I was gonna get whumped. As I don't particularly feel like gettin' whumped, I elected to put her chair back and go get my actual seats recovered. It worked out -- I am, as yet, un-whumped. AND I have some pretty spiffy new seats.

Mike -- What are you saying, boy? headscratch


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 568
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 568
Nice seats. thumbs_up


Mike
1952 Chevrolet 2-Ton 6400
"Dempsey"
In the Gallery
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Hmmm. I thought so.

Thanks!
wink
John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 568
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 568
When that whumpin comes, I would like an invite. My moneys on the wifey.I always enjoyed a good whumpin!!!!


Mike
1952 Chevrolet 2-Ton 6400
"Dempsey"
In the Gallery
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Looking good. That would be great to have it running by then. Good luck.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 195
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 195
That looks good! I can only imagine how proud you will be cruising in it! thumbs_up


Red meat is not bad for you.........Fuzzy green meat is bad for you!

"What happens in the garage stays in the garage!"

1958 Chevy Spartan 100 firetruck in the Gallery
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Thanks Cletis -- Maybe I'll drag it out to Kansas City this year.

Don't have to imagine, Cannonball -- just join us and see for yourself!

Mikey -- the only whumpin gonna happen around here is the one I'm gonna administer to you. Remember -- unlike the rest of these yayhoos who think they can pretty much dog me out with relative impunity, I know where you live and can be there in 15 minutes... remember my BFW?? Sweet dreams. wave

eeeek
John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 568
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 568
It has been an utter pleasure to be associated with such a fine and knowledgable group of people. I look forward to many more good times and good wrenching with Mr.Milliman and many others. Did I redeem myself, sir. wink By the way, I also admire all the work done to the truck so far. You can tell it is a labor of love and pictures do it no justice till seen in person. thumbs_up


Mike
1952 Chevrolet 2-Ton 6400
"Dempsey"
In the Gallery
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Not bad. Not bad at all. Seriously, do you think I'm really gonna put a whumpin' on ya?? Who else do I have around here to throw wrenches with and squirt Murphy Oil Soap all over everything?

You guys should have seen us grunting that windshield glass in... good thing there's no video...

Joe ... we are both in luck on that account. We'd probably get into a LOT of trouble with our wives... grin

Thanks for the nice comments -- you guys have kept me going all these years, so I thought you'd like to see the pictures.

Regards,
JOhn


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 568
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 568
Always a pleasure sir.


Mike
1952 Chevrolet 2-Ton 6400
"Dempsey"
In the Gallery
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 75
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 75
Mr. Milliman sir. My son has a 48 flat bed dump that he wants me too help rebuild. I am looking forward to it. I will have to ask a lot of questions of all the great and omnipotent people such as yourself . Your knowledge has no equal. See I can brown nose with the bestof them. And I dont want to be next In line for a THUMPIN. HA HA.

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 568
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 568
Thats awesome, all in fun, makes this hobby something special. In some ways, it keeps us all motivated.


Mike
1952 Chevrolet 2-Ton 6400
"Dempsey"
In the Gallery
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
No worries, Lou -- Plenty of folks in line ahead of you grin Like Mike said, sounds like a fun project! Have fun!

John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 98
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 98
Truck's lookin great John.


Current project . . . 1960 LB stepide Chevy

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0