The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (2-Ton, cmayna, 1955 1 Series, tclederman), 85 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 102
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 102
I have not found one in any of my catalogues. Does anyone know where I can find one or do I have to adapt a PU truck unit? thanks, Ted


All the best, Ted
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Ted,

Repair or adapt or find a used one (I've never seen a correct new one for a 54/55 panel body truck).

Or, get an earlier panel-body gas tank and you might be luckier getting a sender for that? Of course, finding any good, used, panel-body gas tank is not that easy.

Tim

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 267
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 267
hey ted
do you have a sender now, if so what kind of shape is it in? if the top functions fab a float that looks similar. that is what i am attempting to do.
tim is correct,finding a good used tank with a good sending unit attached is like finding the Holy Grail
tom


I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 102
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 102
Thanks for the advice. I bought a sending unit for a 54 pickup which is not configured to fit the panel tank. I cut the pickup tube above the float mechanism and used standard compression fittings to reconnect and to turn the unit 180 degrees so that it would fit correctly. I then used my original as a template to bend the pick up tube and float to the correct depth. It worked great and I get a good gauge reading.
Thanks again Tom and Tim


All the best, Ted
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 267
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 267
Ted
you didn't take any pics of that by any chance? I bet that would be something a lot of people would like to see. Me included
tom


I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 102
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 102
No, no pictures, sorry
I regret that I did not fully document my rebuild. I just get so excited about the work I don't want to stop and take pictures all the time. Maybe next time.


All the best, Ted
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
Ted,,just the way you explained it,,I can picture it. And with the old one as a template,shouldnt be a problem. Excellent tech tip for future reference!!


Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0