The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Rich'sToys, Steelonsteel, wilbur53, Bill Hanlon, Ponchogl), 81 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,616
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36846 06/26/2004 1:12 AM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 25
F
Junior Member
Junior Member
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 25
I have been having issues getting my truck to run right (stalling, backfires, etc etc). I disassembled the Zenith carb and checked everything out and put it back together. I turned the thumb screw all the way in, then out 2 1/2 turns. That was this morning. When I started it (with choke) it ran great, probably the best since I've had it. Then without choke it ran smooth and idled great. I then drove it to get weighed and it started stalling when coming to a stop, then finally it won't idle at all anymore. I tried putting the screw back in and out 2 1/2 hal turns and adjusting it either way a couple turns in 1/2 turn increments, but nothing helps. Then I noticed gas dripping from a peice of linkage that comes straight down below the float bowl. So I am guessing I need to rebuild the carb. However, I got to thinking, and have come to the following questions that I hope to get your ideas, suggestion, help about:

I plan on using this truck everyday, so I want the absolute most reliable and fuel effecient setup I can get. That said, Here are my questions:

Should I rebuild this carb? It is a Zenith 11275, which a can't find a speck of data about.
or should I replace it with the appropriate 1961-62 carb that would have been original to the engine?
Should I get a different carb that is more reliable.
Should I get the most modern auto choke carb that will fit on the engine without major modification to get better gas mileage and reliability?

I am kind of going toward a resto-mod on the truck.
Thanks,
AW


I can't drive 55... no really, I can't!
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
You have the classic symptom of a flooding carb, caused by either a dirty or worn needle valve or a sunk float. It's not really hard to repair and I would rebuild the carb you have.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,767
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,767
The Zenith 11275 should work extremely well on your 235; however I might suggest trying a different setting before rebuilding. Try setting the idle mixture control screw at 3/4 turn, and the high speed mixture screw at 1 and 1/2 turns (set both after the engine is warm and the choke is off); then adjust your idle speed with the throttle positioner screw. This should lean out the mixture to where the engine will not stall. If not, then time to rebuild the carb.

Jon.


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0