| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,612 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#36846 06/26/2004 1:12 AM | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 25 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 25 | I have been having issues getting my truck to run right (stalling, backfires, etc etc). I disassembled the Zenith carb and checked everything out and put it back together. I turned the thumb screw all the way in, then out 2 1/2 turns. That was this morning. When I started it (with choke) it ran great, probably the best since I've had it. Then without choke it ran smooth and idled great. I then drove it to get weighed and it started stalling when coming to a stop, then finally it won't idle at all anymore. I tried putting the screw back in and out 2 1/2 hal turns and adjusting it either way a couple turns in 1/2 turn increments, but nothing helps. Then I noticed gas dripping from a peice of linkage that comes straight down below the float bowl. So I am guessing I need to rebuild the carb. However, I got to thinking, and have come to the following questions that I hope to get your ideas, suggestion, help about:
I plan on using this truck everyday, so I want the absolute most reliable and fuel effecient setup I can get. That said, Here are my questions:
Should I rebuild this carb? It is a Zenith 11275, which a can't find a speck of data about. or should I replace it with the appropriate 1961-62 carb that would have been original to the engine? Should I get a different carb that is more reliable. Should I get the most modern auto choke carb that will fit on the engine without major modification to get better gas mileage and reliability?
I am kind of going toward a resto-mod on the truck. Thanks, AW
I can't drive 55... no really, I can't!
| | |
#36847 06/26/2004 7:02 AM | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | You have the classic symptom of a flooding carb, caused by either a dirty or worn needle valve or a sunk float. It's not really hard to repair and I would rebuild the carb you have.
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | |
#36848 06/26/2004 1:09 PM | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 2,767 Carburetion specialist | | Carburetion specialist Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 2,767 | The Zenith 11275 should work extremely well on your 235; however I might suggest trying a different setting before rebuilding. Try setting the idle mixture control screw at 3/4 turn, and the high speed mixture screw at 1 and 1/2 turns (set both after the engine is warm and the choke is off); then adjust your idle speed with the throttle positioner screw. This should lean out the mixture to where the engine will not stall. If not, then time to rebuild the carb.
Jon. Good carburetion is fuelish hot airThe most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify. If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!The Carburetor Shop | | |
| |
| |