Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
177
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,619 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 33 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 33 | I just got home with my new truck. It's a 63 C60 Fire truck. It has a dual master cylinder set up with one side for the clutch and one side for the brakes. Neither of which work properly. I pulled the master cylinder off and it looks to me like the pistons are stuck all the way in. They're about an inch in from the snap ring that keeps them from coming out. I was wanting to either rebuild this one or know where I can get a replacement. Any help would be appreciated. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 | Have you tried Napa or Flaps as called by many? I am sure they can fix you up with either a kit or a rebuilt one. Or a brake supply house the ones that reline shoes and such should be able to help also. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 33 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 33 | I looked at the online Napa store and didn't find anything. I will try the store in town tomorrow to see if they have anything listed. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | A friend of mine just had one of those stainless steel sleeved, as it was cheaper than he could get a new unit for. He still runs several of those trucks, so knows who has parts and where to to get the best deal. This time it was cheaper to have them sleeved, although lately when he has a hydraulic brake or clutch cylinder fail he just sends it out for sleeving, then he won't have to deal with again it for a long time.
If you ever can't get new cylinders, or just want some to last forever, have the old ones stainless steel sleeved. DON'T mess with brass sleeves.
The guy to have stainless sleeve your cylinders is: Mark "the machinist" Frappier 82 Mountianview St. Agawam, MA 01001 413-789-4588, or 800-528-5235
You send him your bare, stripped, clean cylinders, and he sends them back with a perfect looking stainless insert. You will still need to go to NAPA and get rebuild kits, or perhaps Jim Carter sells kits?
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 6 | I just got one from Oreillys about 2 months ago. They had to order it but had it in a couple of days. Shouldnt be a problem for any parts store but you might have to find somebody to look in a book to find the part number. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | Napa part numbers. Clutch kit 254. Brake kit with 1 1/4 dia. cyl. 261. With 1 1/8th dia. 253. Complete cyl. with 1 1/4 dia. brake 19089. With 1 1/8 dia. 34404. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 581 | Adam,
Not sure if you've already said: What make of Fire Engine? Pump? Tank size?
I'm a fire engine nut first, stovebolt nut second.
-Michael | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 33 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 33 | I don't know a whole lot about it yet. It is a 63 chevy C60 with some sort of centrifugal pump mounted in front of the engine. I think the tank is about 500 gal. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 581 | Adam,
Let me know if you need any help about the pump. In order of likelihood, it's either a Barton, Champion, or Waterous. If the truck is made by the American Fire Apparatus Co. of Battle Creek, MI, then it's definitely a Barton (their in-house brand). They usually put a builder's plate on the cab floor or doorway, driver's side. Regardless, it's almost definitely of 500 gallon-per-minute capacity. Lot's of fun to play with, easy to use. Means your truck can do something most others can't - it can squirt!
Congratulations on your new adventure!
-Michael | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 33 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 33 | I looked today and it is a Barton. It alson has a plate mounted beside the pump that gives a rate and pressure at certain rpms. I was amazed by the 500 gpm at 150 psi it stated to be able to put out, especially with only a 4 in. suction. I've run tank trucks that didn't have that capability.
On topic, I was able to get a new master cylinder at the local parts store. I got the clutch side bled and working properly. Now the brakes were a different story. Never really could get a solid pedal, nor could I find any bleeder screw on what I assume was the booster. It is mounted under the driver side of the cab and has what looks like an air brake chamber mounted to it. Is this the Hydrovac booster that I have read about? | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy Adam Ogle, yes that sounds like the hydrovac. On the brakes, make sure you adjust the brakes and then bleed them, I'm not sure if the newer hydrovacs have bleed screws or not, hope that helps. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 33 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 33 | I ordered a new hydrovac unit today, it should be in tomorrow. It looks like the old one was damaged and in pretty poor shape. I am pretty sure I have the dual piston brakes on front and not sure about the rear yet. How do I tell what they are and how do I go about adjusting them?
On a side note, I found the original 1963 Chevrolet Truck owners guide in a plastic envelope along with a 1977 Hazardous Materials Emergency Response Guide. Kinda neat! | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy Adam Ogle, according to my parts book your truck should have two wheel cylinders at each wheel, fronts are 7/8" bore, rears are 1 1/2" bore, hope that helps. | | |
| |