Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
3 members (Patharr, KEVINSKI, 1 invisible),
236
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,230 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 3 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 3 | I pulled the old tank,from behind the seat.I want to relocate a new tank between the frame rails.Is it more cost effected to buy a after market tank,a buddy told a 95 suburban,fits perfect.What is the board collectives opinion? | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Do a search and see what you find, we have covered this before.
My opinion, leave it in the cab, its safer. The cab is the part that offers most protection, behind the rear axle is not a good place to have a gas tank if you are in an accident. With good hoses and tight connections you will never know the tank is in the cab.
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 1,403 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 1,403 | Yeah, that was the whole reason Chevy put it in the cab, wasn't it? | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 641 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 641 | but it is nice to have the extra room in the cab | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | but it is nice to have the extra room in the cab True, but how do you make use of it? My 48 originally had the frame mounted tank, and I am installing a 75 gallon diesel tank in the same place, I am not so worried about it as it's only diesel. But any how, what can I do to make the seat move out of the way so I can use the behind the seat space for storage? Grigg | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 1,317 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 1,317 | Hey Grigg,
Some time back a guy had a thread on modifying the AD seat so that the back would flip forward without going askew. He used a couple extensions that went down inside the alignment holes. It also gave you additional room as the back of the seat will slide back inside the metal tube frame to give you a more comfortable driving position. I didn't save the thread but did the modification on my truck and have a couple pictures in my "Tips and Tricks album on page 2. I agree that the tank is best protected in the cab and for that reason built a shelf above my tank for some additional storage. If you want any additional info send me an email.
Dave | | | | | Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 153 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 153 | I have a pair of saddle tanks from a mid-80's Chevy truck. Trial fitting looks like I can place one between the driveshaft and the frame like the 1948 truck. Then I can still route the filler hose to the stock cab location. I hope to get this worked out in the next month or two. The I can keep the spare tire up under the bed.
If it does not work out then I am going to use the Tanks, Inc universal steel tank and route the filler out the rear fender. I do not want the filler in the bed.
In my case the tank was under not behind the seat. I am thinking about a drawer on each side and open the door and the drawer slides out sideways from under the seat. 1946 Chevy Half Ton ('56 235, '86 T5, '79 Camaro Z28 rear end, working on the '85 Jaguar XJ6 IFS) 1976 Margay Panther X, MC91B | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 641 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 641 | im putting electric leather seats that are very cush and need the room back there to tilt them back a little | | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 2 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 2 | If you look at the engineering specs, you will find that they located the tank inside the framerails on panels and 'burbs. It was obviously done for space reasons, but also consider that there are no Chevrolet vehicles made today with tanks in the cab. Even with good connections, why risk the chance of fumes accumulating? They moved the tank outside the cab for a reason, too.
1937 Chevrolet 1/2 ton pickup 1938 Chevrolet 3/4 ton pickup
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 576 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 576 | john55,youll get lots of opinions here.the resto guys are usually opposed to movin the tank out back.well heres one more opinion,i moved the tank on my 49 to behind the axel and in front of the rear crossmember. used a rci aluminum fuel cell its 12w 9h 30l 15 gal and has a sender.had a buddy weld up a frame of angle and 1 1/4 heavy wall tubing and it fits like a glove.i didnt want the fumes and slosh in the cab with me..........dave ps ,welcome to the bolt 1949 Chevrolet 3100 "When this thing hits 88 miles an hour, you're going to see some serious sh%t." -Doc Brown
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 | With good connections,etc. I see no reason to move the tank.Most people say they smell gas in the cab.If that is true there is a problem.Fix it.For more in cab room I can understand that.That is the reason the newer trucks have the tank underneath. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | i moved mine out for two reasons one is the smell of fumes on filling and the additional weight in the back in snow season helps. ron
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 289 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 289 | I'm planning to move mine. I want it out the cab for smell & in case I ever roll over. The storage will be nice too. I'll get a Summit 16 gallon fuel cell. Plan is to flip my shock crossmember around instead of moving the the one at the rear suspension hangers. I'll mount my stock sender into the Summit and if its too deep for the sump, I'll try cutting and soldering it. Getting the shock crossmember repositioned will be the trickist part, but I have some ideas. I'd like to do a throught he license plate fill, but I'll settle for through the bed. The bed crossmember might be an issue too, but I won't really know if its right about the inlet unitl I get ahold of a fule cell. I've been looking into this for a while | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 164 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 164 | I'd rather have it outside rather than in the cab with me. I'm putting mine in the back with bracing around it plus a receiver hitch, plus the bumper. If it gets punctured after all that, at least it's 5-6 feet away.
My feelings are also swayed because I knew a family with a F*rd pickup back in the 70s. The fuel tank fire after a rollover claimed their little girl. I don't think the cab or the tank got punctured, but the filler neck either broke, or simply leaked gas when the pickup ended up on the left side.
One personal bad experience trumps all the engineering studies ever done. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2007 Posts: 56 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2007 Posts: 56 | Good point Canyon. My '47 AD came with the tank under the bed (near the front), and I want to keep it there. I'm not sure if it is still usable, since I haven't removed it yet, but no matter what, I still want it or one like it in the same spot. They make replacements for in-cab models, but why don't they make new ones for under-bed models?
1947 Chevy 3100 - Shop truck - 250 L6/T5/4.10's 1970 Chevy Camaro - Rotisserie jail
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | That's great!, and simple. I see he used thumb screws to secure the top of the seat back to the frame. I think I will use two of these little quick release pins sold by McMaster Carr, part number 92384A012 Just click here http://www.mcmaster.com/Then cut and paste this part number into the search 92384A012 Grigg | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 | ''''''I see he used thumb screws to secure the top of the seat back to the frame.'''''' actually someone else came up and did a one handed lever/slider (on drivers side) to a long bar that holds the seat in two (or the same locations as shown)
Last edited by carolines truck; 01/29/2008 3:19 PM.
Jim & Caroline The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense." Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | ''''''I see he used thumb screws to secure the top of the seat back to the frame.'''''' actually someone else came up and did a one handed lever/slider (on drivers side) to a long bar that holds the seat in two (or the same locations as shown) I have not found pictures of the lever, do you have a link? Thanks, Grigg | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 |
Jim & Caroline The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense." Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 | I was tempted to get a 1969 Camaro tank. It holds 16 or 18 gallons, I forget which, but it has a really long filler neck that comes straight out the back. It looks like you could mount that tank right behind the rear end and the filler neck would stick out just below the rear tail gate. That's what I'm gonna try anyway.
Those tanks are available through Classic Industries.
52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup 68 Big Block Vette 68 455 Firebird | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | I would be interested in how you get it to work. That was my plan but my bed is not available so I was afraid to plan on something that would not work. I even found a vendor that sells the spring loaded license plate bracket. Let us know how it works out.
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 | The Suburban NAPCOS had the fuel tank mounted on the outside of the frame on the side of the truck to make room for the transfer case. Scary.
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | My 48 6400 also had the tank outside the frame, right side, just behind the cab.
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 | i found it the tilt forward seat swing bar lever '''''''''The retainer is made from 1/8"x3/4" stock, 43" long for the relay bar and 5" long for each of the "latches". The holes in the relay bar are spaced to match the hook on the seat back.''''''''' http://www.chuckthetruck.com/page27.html#folding
Jim & Caroline The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense." Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 | Big Chevy, the way I was planning to get that to work is with some custom bracketry. I was thinking angle iron between the frame rails to create the upper support, and then straps to wrap around the fuel tank between the angle iron. Stainless steel straps would be my preference. The tank would be situated so that the long filler neck that extends out the back would stick out from under the bed a few inches (below the tailgate) for access. Also, a center access means it doesn't matter what side of the pump you pull up to. That's a feature I love about both my Corvette and my Firebird.
I was thinking about maybe keeping the original tank as a spare. Long trips on the highway, it might be good to have the extra capacity. A simple ball valve could be used with hard line to switch between tanks. I was thinking about having another electric switch to switch between tank pick-ups, so that the fuel gauge would work with either tank.
52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup 68 Big Block Vette 68 455 Firebird | | |
| |