The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gdads51, Otto Skorzeny, jay d, Hotrod Lincoln, ‘37ChevyPU), 173 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,262
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 141
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 141
Hello,
I think I bought the wrong tool. From sears I got a tool that looks like a 2 pronged fork, my service manual shows a different tool that looks like a short cylinder with a bolt in it. Does anybody have a pic or source for this tool?
Thanks,
brian

Z
ZooKeeper
Unregistered
ZooKeeper
Unregistered
Z
THIS is the kind I have & got it at my local parts house...Joe

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
the puller in the manual is an antique you won't find outside a swap meet, the usual 'univeral' tool nowadays is available at many tool rental places, C shaped with a bolt thru the middle, like a gear puller - if you got what's sometimes called a "pickle fork" [more for popping loose steering ball joints], that can work tapped in between the back of the arm and the frame if it's wide enuff to straddle the shaft
[yeah, what Joe said grin ]
Bill

Last edited by red58; 01/17/2008 5:15 AM. Reason: too slow

Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 141
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 141
Thanks Joe!
What about clutch head screw drivers (i know what they look like wink ) but do you know where i can get these, I saw a set of four for 24.95. Is that a good price.
Thanks,
Brian

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 141
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 141
Hey Bill,
I checked out a bus that looked a bit like yours. Turns out it is a 49 Crown motorcoach. what a beast smile

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
sounds about average, usually available at NAPA or SnapOn or other tool suppliers, and at all the repro parts vendors

Crowns that old are scarce, but coveted for conversions - Flxible are the best, of course grin

Bill

Last edited by red58; 01/17/2008 5:21 AM.

Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Either tool will work. Here is the high end version: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...5&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Nice thing about the one from the FLAPS, it is cheap enough so if you have to grind the ears to fit your application, you won't feel real bad about it!

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
As an occasional customer of Harbor Freight I purchased a Pitman puller to use on my own AD. The arm had never been off and the $7.00 I spent was well worth it because if fit perfectly and did the job in about a minute. For the number of times I will do this task in a lifetime top dollar tools don't make a lot of sense.

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 434
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 434
What Joe and Brad said. I have two cheaper ones, smaller and larger sizes. One size does not fit all. Great for popping off tie-road ends, (although you can get them to break loose by whacking the steering knuckle with a BFH, the proper tools work better).


R-Bo

1959 Apache 1/2 ton Big Window, Short bed Fleetside (under reconstruction)
1966 GMC 305V6 in the family
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 161
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 161
after using it on 2 tie rod ends and 1 pitman arm, my Harbor Freight puller is bent. but at 5.99 I´m not complaining, plus: I check a $17.99 puller at A-Line Autoparts and it was exactly the same one! had the same casting marks! so I´m definitely going to HF again for this


I LOVE MY TRUCK

1959 Chevrolet Apache 38 Panel Truck in the Gallery
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I have a set from OTC myself, but I use them professionally, and need top quality tools.


Bill Burmeister

Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0