The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (rfs56trk, Bill Hanlon, DadsFirstPickup), 95 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,311
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36465 10/28/2004 9:50 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 103
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 103
OK - I checked the archives and can not find anything re: leak / seep at the accelerator pump arm / link. After a run, I can feel under the carb bowl and collect an oily (I use Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas) seep on my finger. I don't smell gas fumes in the seep, and the color is "reddish". The carb does not leak at the gasket as many Rochesters do - this occurs at the link. I rebuilt this carb with a NAPA kit and gas mileage is better. I can't figure how the carb is leaking at this area. Floats are set to specs and do not have pinhole leak. I have an oil bath filter, but this is a light oil (MMO?)
deposit. BW

#36466 11/17/2004 5:26 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 53
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 53
ttt. I have the same problem. Is there a quick fix?


How did all this sawdust get under the hood?
#36467 11/18/2004 5:00 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 103
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 103
I took the top off the carb and found the float drop to be more than 1 3/4 inches. Re-set it to the specs and replaced. No more leak. I am guessing that the bowl would over fill and allow some gas to slosh out whild driving. Check your float level and drop. BW

#36468 11/18/2004 7:09 PM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
I just saw this thread and was going to suggest checking the float level. You found your own solution.

Another thing to check when you are having problems with a Rochester is the throttle shaft wear. There was a post here a month or two back by Carbking about how to measure the wear and when to bush the throttle body.

All that said, there is only one good way to keep a Rochester one barrel from leaking. Fill it with JB Weld. wink


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
#36469 11/19/2004 7:45 AM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 62
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 62
Rodchester used "Detroit Adobe" in its castings and after many years develops porisity and seeps fuel. Not much can be done except replacing the bowl section with one that don't seep as much.

Also the gaskets can seep. I seal all gaskets with Permatex Avaition sealer. It cured the seeping through the gaskets anyway.


47 Fleetmaster, Hotrod 6, 5 Speed
50 Sedan Delivery, 327, 5 Speed

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0