The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (KEVINSKI), 160 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,230
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#363257 01/20/2008 6:02 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 153
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 153
Does anyone have any info about roof racks for a 61 panel. I use my panel as a daily driver for my handyman business and occassionaly need to carry longer lengths of lumber that wont fit inside. I assume there are period correct racks but I have never seen any. I am also going to put a request in the parts wanrted as well.

Thanks, Mac

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
I believe that this subject has been talked about before,do a search. From what I have seen, the station wagon racks are the same.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 153
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 153
Couldnt find any info doing a search. Never thought about the wagons being the same.

Mac

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
I found it, not much info. I know I have seen a few 60/66 Suburbans with the wagon type rack.

https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Main/34127/Number/247096#Post247096

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 153
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 153
Thanks for the thread. I'll try to track down eitherthe direct bolt or gutter mount.

Mac

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
My understanding after re-reading your post, your intentions are to carry oversize lumber. I am not sure if any of the luggage racks were intended for such loads and would carefully search for information regarding such use. You may want to check with a specialty truck store that caters to construction/tradesmen. I think your idea of a gutter mounted rack is a better idea than an original bolted through the roof mount. If you check ebay, try searching for: luggage rack, roof carrier, roof rack etc. also there are later model racks, both foreign and domestic that might adapt to your roof, so take measurements and compare. Good luck!

This is one style that was available in the 50's and 60's

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/pts/545521611.html


Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0