Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,262 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 | Hello, I think I bought the wrong tool. From sears I got a tool that looks like a 2 pronged fork, my service manual shows a different tool that looks like a short cylinder with a bolt in it. Does anybody have a pic or source for this tool? Thanks, brian | | | | | | ZooKeeper Unregistered | | ZooKeeper Unregistered | THIS is the kind I have & got it at my local parts house...Joe | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | the puller in the manual is an antique you won't find outside a swap meet, the usual 'univeral' tool nowadays is available at many tool rental places, C shaped with a bolt thru the middle, like a gear puller - if you got what's sometimes called a "pickle fork" [more for popping loose steering ball joints], that can work tapped in between the back of the arm and the frame if it's wide enuff to straddle the shaft [yeah, what Joe said  ] Bill
Last edited by red58; 01/17/2008 5:15 AM. Reason: too slow
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 | Thanks Joe! What about clutch head screw drivers (i know what they look like  ) but do you know where i can get these, I saw a set of four for 24.95. Is that a good price. Thanks, Brian | | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 | Hey Bill, I checked out a bus that looked a bit like yours. Turns out it is a 49 Crown motorcoach. what a beast  | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | sounds about average, usually available at NAPA or SnapOn or other tool suppliers, and at all the repro parts vendors Crowns that old are scarce, but coveted for conversions - Flxible are the best, of course  Bill
Last edited by red58; 01/17/2008 5:21 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 | Either tool will work. Here is the high end version: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...5&store=snapon-store&dir=catalogNice thing about the one from the FLAPS, it is cheap enough so if you have to grind the ears to fit your application, you won't feel real bad about it! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | As an occasional customer of Harbor Freight I purchased a Pitman puller to use on my own AD. The arm had never been off and the $7.00 I spent was well worth it because if fit perfectly and did the job in about a minute. For the number of times I will do this task in a lifetime top dollar tools don't make a lot of sense. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 434 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 434 | What Joe and Brad said. I have two cheaper ones, smaller and larger sizes. One size does not fit all. Great for popping off tie-road ends, (although you can get them to break loose by whacking the steering knuckle with a BFH, the proper tools work better).
R-Bo
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Big Window, Short bed Fleetside (under reconstruction) 1966 GMC 305V6 in the family
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 161 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 161 | after using it on 2 tie rod ends and 1 pitman arm, my Harbor Freight puller is bent. but at 5.99 I´m not complaining, plus: I check a $17.99 puller at A-Line Autoparts and it was exactly the same one! had the same casting marks! so I´m definitely going to HF again for this | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | I have a set from OTC myself, but I use them professionally, and need top quality tools.
Bill Burmeister | | |
| |