The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (John Dlugos, Buckeye998, Gray_Ghost, Gdads51, dt235sd, rfs56trk, BCBill, Otto Skorzeny, Dusty53), 236 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
Have I lost my touch? Am I losing my freakin' mind? I've been trying to remove my front brake drums for the last few hours. I've used PB blaster, a propane torch, a larger hammer, and these suckers haven't moved so much as a fraction of an inch.

I backed the brakes all the way off. The hub spins fine with no drag from the shoes.

And no there aren't any machine screws in my drum that are holding it to the hub. What the heck could be holding these drums on? They don't look particulary corroded around the hub or the studs. Is there something I'm not thinking of? Are there some magic words that I don't know?

Granted it's been a long time since I've done brakes on a TF (right now I'm not sure that "TF" stands for Task Force. I think it may stand for something else) but there should be nothing else holding these drums on, right?

AAAAARRRRRRGH!

Someone please tell me that I'm not the only one who has had this problem. Or maybe tell me that I've forgotten some simple thing?


Mike
------
1958 Chevy 3200 Fleetside
1958 GMC 100 Wideside
------
Did you get free advice today? To donate to this site using PayPal is fast and EZ. Click here: http://www.stovebolt.com/office/thanks.html
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 224
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 224
you've taken the the wheel bearing cover off and removed the cotter pin and the castle nut off the spindle right? i did my back brakes first and it took me a while to figure that out. the front and back dont come off the same way

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Since you said that there's no screws holding it on, I'll take it that there's no rivets either. I'd suggest taking the bearings apart and removing the entire drum and hub as an assembly. Then you can deal with the drum removal off the truck. There's a chance that there's rust buildup behind the drum. You may have to hammer between the studs to get it loose. An Air hammer works well for this. But be warned, if too much force is used, the drum can be damaged. I'd olny suggest the air hammer if you pln on installing new drums. If you are going to have them machined, they can be turned with the hub in place.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
Yes Bill! There are 3 rivets!! Talk to me!! Would these rivets be holding the drum to the hub? I don't recall ever dealing with rivets on a brake drum before. Why in the world would a brake drum be rivetd to the hub and how are you supposed to do a brake job? It's unlikely that this is the first brake job this truck has had, although truthfully I don't remember it ever having one before. Talk to me, Bill!


Mike
------
1958 Chevy 3200 Fleetside
1958 GMC 100 Wideside
------
Did you get free advice today? To donate to this site using PayPal is fast and EZ. Click here: http://www.stovebolt.com/office/thanks.html
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
Uh oh...geez Murdoc. Are you telling me that the hub and the drum are one unit? I don't remember that but I may be getting old. Can someone confirm that?


Mike
------
1958 Chevy 3200 Fleetside
1958 GMC 100 Wideside
------
Did you get free advice today? To donate to this site using PayPal is fast and EZ. Click here: http://www.stovebolt.com/office/thanks.html
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 224
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 224
thats how it is on my 65....i just did my brakes last weekend. im going to bleed them today in about an hour smile

Z
ZooKeeper
Unregistered
ZooKeeper
Unregistered
Z
Originally Posted by Old Gold
Are you telling me that the hub and the drum are one unit?


ding ding ding, we have a winner....Joe

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
Thanks guys!! I feel like an idiot!!


Mike
------
1958 Chevy 3200 Fleetside
1958 GMC 100 Wideside
------
Did you get free advice today? To donate to this site using PayPal is fast and EZ. Click here: http://www.stovebolt.com/office/thanks.html
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Yup, those 3 rivets hold the drum on. It can be machined as a unit if you need them done, or just cut them off, drive 'em out, and the drum will come right off. It's not necessary to replace them, they only really hold the drum on during manufacturing.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Most people pull it off as an assembly and repack the bearings while they have it off.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
I just pulled the whole assembly off. (sheepish grin)

The TF that I did the brakes on in the past must have already had those rivets removed, I certailny don't remember cutting them off anyway but I do remember removing the drum from the hub.

I'll definitely repack the bearing and replace the seals. Everything looked good in there and my drums look great.

I always know that when I'm working on my bolt I can come here for answers and if not for answers then at least for therapy! Once again, thanks for your help guys.


Mike
------
1958 Chevy 3200 Fleetside
1958 GMC 100 Wideside
------
Did you get free advice today? To donate to this site using PayPal is fast and EZ. Click here: http://www.stovebolt.com/office/thanks.html
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
Before I got my '62 Suburban, I'd never seen front drums on a car that came off WITHOUT taking the entire hub assembly off. Every other vehicle I've worked on had the drums riveted to the hub. This includes '54 Buick, '56 and '57 Chevy, '68-up Nova, etc. etc. etc.

I was very, very surprised to see the front drum come off my Suburban without removing the dust cap/cotter pin/castle nut and big washer with the tang in the center.

-Brad


SOUTHERN FALL GABfest
October 6 ~ Commerce, Georgia
Details here!


Never Pee on an Electric Fence.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
heres the trick get a big peace of fire wood or a 4x4 throw it at the ouside corner of the drum as hard as you can i had been working on one for a week with hammers heat and prey bars my friend comes over and has it off in less then a minute with the 4x4 on the outside corner

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
Number 7's front drums are held on by two screws (each).

I've had them off both ways (with the hub and without) and it's easier to work if the hubs are out of the way.


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0