The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Eileen, Mike'sPlace, Maybellene, Uncles51, 1 invisible), 91 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,296
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#358153 01/08/2008 10:47 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
Did Chevrolet use the torsion bar type suspension on trucks other than light duty pick-ups in the early '60's?
Thanks Don

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Yes, some pretty big trucks. I have seen several, and know of a junk one near me.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
I think my old 63' GMC 4000 had torsion bars up front.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 16
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 16
thinck they came in 5000 ,7000 and 9000 pound front ends

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 30
T
Apprentice
Apprentice
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 30
Hi , Yes I had one many years ago- a 1960 long wheelbase 1 ton chevy windowless panel truck, if memory serves. Surprised the heck out of me that it was torsionbar front. TerryJ

1
1960C60Viking
Unregistered
1960C60Viking
Unregistered
1
Hello, My C-60 has the torsion bars, nice ride, Ball joints?? where do you find them for the bigg'ns.

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
The 1960 Chevrolet L80 series LCF roadtractor, I owned had the Torsion Bar Suspension.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 65
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 65
The big trucks used them from 1960-1962. Farmers loved them because you could drive across furrows and never feel them.

The problem was that you had to align the front end at one position, somewhere between loaded and empty and then when you operated at the other end, the alignment was different. Trucks that were loaded one way wore out the tires on the empty return. If you aligned it for empty, you wore out the tires loaded.

After a year or two, a lot of the fleets wouldn't buy them and they returned to the I Beam.


51 Chevrolet Canopy Express
02 K25 Duramax Crew Cab
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
So did they only use torsion bar suspensions from 60 - 62 or could you get a conventional I beam front end in place of the torsion bar set up? I'm wondering about big trucks. Thanks Don

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 65
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 65
No I Beam from 60-62, I Beam only before and after.


51 Chevrolet Canopy Express
02 K25 Duramax Crew Cab
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 16
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 16
my dad was telling me he spent one winter changing one to an I beam.he had younger brother driving it's 3 day of working he came by in his other truck it was in the field with no axles left under it and his brother sittig on front tire.
so it can be done but it was a lot of work.he said the parts came of another wreck he bought for parts

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 165
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 165
If I remember correctly there was a one year only of a certian type torsion bar, but not 100% sure, on the trucks 60 to 62/63, the only years that GMC put it in and I have a 4000 series that had worn lower ball joints, NO LONGER SERVICED is what I found everywhere, NAPA could have them sent out and reconditioned for 600 a piece, but I got lucky and found some nos from a 60 series Chevy that are identicle for 125 a piece, but this was almost 10 years ago.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 16
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 16
i have a mostly complet front end from C60 .
i just can't bring my self to take it it to the junk man.
i don't need it

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
They had some serious accidents from broken torsion bars. G.M. discontinued them after awhile.

Last edited by Wrenchbender Ret.; 01/12/2008 10:05 PM.

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 14
7
New Guy
New Guy
7 Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 14
I have a '92 GMC K-3500 with torsion bars, I hope it is not the dangerous ones your are talking about.

Danny

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
Back when I first began my career as a School Bus Mechanic, we had several '60-'62 Chevy Buses still on the road, with the Torsion Bar Suspension. I don't recall us ever having much trouble from them. I do recall reading some type of Chevrolet literature, stating the reason this type front suspension was discontinued on Big Trucks, was because of the high price of manufacturing,& servicing them. I will tell you this, the 1960 Chevy L80 series roadtractor, I had, had the most comfortable ride of any Vintage Big truck, I've owned. My wife didn't even mind riding to Truck Shows in it. That says alot.

Last edited by spanky; 01/13/2008 3:04 AM.

Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I have two modern Chevy trucks with torsion bar front suspensions parked outside right now. I don't know why they quick making them in the 60's, but they started again in the 80's for four-wheel-drive trucks.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 165
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 165
We bought our 61 4000 series used in 63 and used it seasonaly for hauling sugar beets untill about 69 then it became the main truck for cattle, equipment and general ranch work, along with my grandfathers 57 6500 Chevy, that 61 rides like a caddy next to just about anything else loaded or empty, with just a little over 100,000 orginal miles we replaced the lower balls at about 95,000 or so. My understanding why they stopped building them was cost and weight could have been a factor, lot of extra parts on them.

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 7
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 7
Great truck,I have 1960 viking 60
The front ends what you described I haven't had a problem yet and am dredding the day I do.

Joined: May 2008
Posts: 114
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 114
The torsion bar fronts were expensive to manufacture and much harder to keep adjusted for front end alignment. I have the remains of a 1960 M70 tandem dump truck with this front end and it's completely worn out. Dumps were especially hard on this type of front since the front was often overloaded to 12,000 to 15,000 pounds. By 1962 Chevrolet offered an 11,000 lb. I-beam front as an option for max use. This was the last year of the torsion bar front. Most light to medium usage of this front end won't be a problem, however parts can be hard to find. Keep everything up front lubed well They do ride soft and smooth and Chevrolet advertised heavily on this feature. JAMES


1957 Chevrolet 6400 flatbed dump
In the Gallery
Webshot pix
1942 Chevrolet 1 1/2 ton
1962 Chevrolet M80 tractor
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 165
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 165
If memory still holds, there were two types of indepedent front suspension the torsion bars for 60/61 then coil spring 62/63, I may be mistaken but I seem to remember something along those lines.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0