Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,134 Posts1,056,401 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 12 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 12 | Is there any way to tell if the head has been rebuilt for unleaded gas? My engine in my 54 is not original. There is a tag on the side that states "REMANUFACTURED ENGINE/PRODUCTION NO./239546/REMANUFACTURER/CODE 1.
I've read a couple articles concerning this. Some say the valve seats will burn up if not rebuilt, others say its not a big concern if it is not a daily driver. Also see the parts stores sell "lead substitute". This doesn't seem economical at $7 a bottle. So what can I expect if I drive the old gal about 50 miles a week? How long before she gets mad at me and breaks down?
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 275 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 275 | I decided to run my 235 as is when leaded fuel was discontinued here. Put 120 to 140 thou. mi. on it before I pulled it for replacement. Still ran strong & steady. No problems. Thats as a daily driver where summer temps commonly exceed 115 deg. Nearest town N. is 90 mi. going W. its only 60 mi. Running a 35 yr. old big block in my 1 ton work truck, make 4 or 5 trips ea. yr. from below sea level here over a 4200 ft. mountain pass pulling a dually trailer loaded coming home with supplies, same story. Put a 292 in my car when I repl. the 235 mentioned above. About 3-4 yr. ago, avg. 10 to 12 thou. mi./yr. Same story. I quit using a well respected machinist here because he told me (1) if he did the headwork he'd have to install hard seats (2) a 292 is a poor choice for a car because 'everybody knows they're a gas hog & you can't change that'. I avg. 22.5 MPG on 200 to 300 mi. trips with my 292 powered car running 60 to 70 MPH. Doug | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | This is a very timely topic for me. My engine is going under the cutter in a week or two. I'm getting conflicting recommendations on this issue and I hope more people jump in with their experiences.
Rockies54. Other than pulling the head to see if hardened seats have been installed, I don't know of a way to tell. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 | I agree with Doug on this subject. Leaded gas was touted to add some lubrication to the valves which was supposed to make them last longer. I maintain numerous old cars & trucks for customers that have the original engines and they run fine. Several are driven to car shows from So Cal to Reno and las Vegas. There was a article in Vintage Truck on this subject a while back. Essentially high performance engines could have problems with excessive valve wear. Most of the early 6 cylinders don't fall into this category. If your engine is going to be rebuilt and some of the seats have excessive wear, install the hard seats, otherwise leave it alone. Fred
1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes 1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes 2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans 1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | I have no problems with UNLD gas nor I have I heard any problems from any members here in my local Inliners group. So I wouldn't be concerned about it. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | 292,s all have hardrned seats if they still have the original head. Practically every engine built from 71 on has them. If you don,t run hard the old seats will do O.k. in the other engines. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 91 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 91 | Aviation planes such as the small cessna 172 use Av-gas 100 octane low lead. I know people try to obtain this higher octane fuel for there homemade race cars. Although I don't need 100 octane particularly it is still leaded gasoline. I wonder if there is a affordable way of buying leaded gasoline such as aviation fuel. Or maybe just substituted with it every once in a while. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 586 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 586 | I use a small amount of Marvel Mystery Oil added to the gas in my old cars,trucks and tractors. Never had a valve problem. I can buy AV-Gas from the local airport at $4.00 a gallon, but why waste the money.
Wanted Good Woman: Must be able to cook , clean , sew , tune engines and polish trucks. Must have old Stovebolt and garage. Please send picture of old Stovebolt and garage.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | Is there any way to tell if the head has been rebuilt for unleaded gas? My engine in my 54 is not original. There is a tag on the side that states "REMANUFACTURED ENGINE/PRODUCTION NO./239546/REMANUFACTURER/CODE 1.
I've read a couple articles concerning this. Some say the valve seats will burn up if not rebuilt, others say its not a big concern if it is not a daily driver. Also see the parts stores sell "lead substitute". This doesn't seem economical at $7 a bottle. So what can I expect if I drive the old gal about 50 miles a week? How long before she gets mad at me and breaks down? The only time you'll have a problem by not installing hardened seats is if you work the engine hard for extended periods. 99.9% of drivers will never have a problem using unleaded gas. In fact there is some documentation that installing hardened seats can cause problems if the seat comes loose. I've been running unleaded in my stock head 38 with no problems. I put many thousands of unleaded miles on my old pre unleaded '70 HD without problems.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 12 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 12 | OK, it seems like the concensus is don't sweat it if everything else is nomal. The engine runs great as is, so I'd hate to disturb it.
Thanks to all! Rick
Last edited by Rockies54; 01/03/2008 3:44 AM.
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | One thing I can add to this, the lead in the gas was done to prevent knocking, particularly in high comperssion engines. Any valve lubrication was strictly a side benefit. I will say that I did have hardened seats installed in my head, along with new valves, but that had more to do with the severly burnt valve on #5. Plus it was relatively cheap from the machine shop I use, $12, valve and seat, installed.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | Exactly, regardless of my signature. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | |
| |