The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (CuzzFuzz), 83 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,135
Posts1,056,423
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34900 08/11/2003 4:46 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 16
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 16
After losing oil pressure and finding big chunks missing from my main bearings, I pulled my '54 235 and had it professionally rebuilt. $1295 eek and 5 weeks later, they had it back to me all redone, top to botom. Bored .080 over (block was already .060 over), put in a 261 cam, hardened valve seats, everything.

While it was out, I basically did a frame-up resoration from the cab forward...at least as much as I could do in the 5 weeks it was gone anyway. The truck ('50 1/2 ton now with a '54 cab) is now mostly back together; one more good day of work and it will be driveable (I'm hoping grin ).

Here's the kicker: I'm leaving for college on Saturday. (Yes, a good chunk of my graduation money went towards the engine;)) Not just a few hour journey either; I live in NW Wisconsin, and I'm going to MIT. Won't be home until Christmas. The truck won't be done until later Wednesday IF everything goes well :rolleyes: .

Just like all the rest of you I'm sure, I want to get this fresh motor running and cruise in that truck as much as I can before I go! Now, do I run the engine for 2 days then leave it for probably the entire winter, or should I not run it at all, and wait to start it for the 1st time when I come home from college next year? I'm afraid if I only drive it for 2 days and leave it for 9 months that it won't break in properly and the inside will rust during storage. What do you think?

Another option is to have one of my friends who is staying around drive it occasionally until winter comes. That will let it run more before storage. I just don't know if I want them driving it and stuff without me around...

What's your input guys? And yes, I will post pictures as soon as I can. cool

Carl

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
If it was mine, I would want to here it run if I had plenty of time. If you are really rushing around, let it set. Pull the plugs and spray the cylinders down with a rust inhibitor and reinstall the plugs then when you get back to it fire it up. Joe


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0