The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Charles in CA, TrknGMC), 84 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,633
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34815 12/26/2004 6:43 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
When I changed the timing cover seal on my 235 (1957 era) there was what I would call an "oil-slinger" type of cup on the crankshaft end where it goes thru the seal to the pulley. Obviously it helps keep excess oil away from the seal. When I did my other 235 (1954)this oil slinger was not there. I made some inquiries and was told that it wasn't really neeeded so I put it back together as-is. My first 235 has stayed bone dry in that area whereas the second (without the part) still leaks oil. In fact there has been a history of oil leaking from that area and I am wondering if I should try to find this piece and install it. Being a loose fit I don't think it actuallys keeps any oil from lubing the seal but I may be wrong.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
#34816 12/26/2004 8:53 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
I have just been doing research on this slinger. The Chev parts books are not very clear but it looks like the slinger started in 1956. The slinger is held tight between the gear and the balancer. It is the same slinger as small blocks use. If you need one I have several.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
#34817 12/26/2004 10:36 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Pre'68 Dave. Thanks. I might decide to do the job again to stop the weeping. how much would you like for one? I am not far away from you.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
#34818 12/27/2004 3:12 AM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 110
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 110
It is best to use an oil slinger.

Truck Tinker

#34819 12/27/2004 5:50 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Just to confirm, the cupped or open part of the slinger faces forward, am I right? Like it would protect the seal. If I recall that is how I did it on my first 235.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
#34820 12/27/2004 7:05 AM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
That is right. You can't put it on wrong.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0