The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (stlcardinalsguy, Otto Skorzeny), 138 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,510
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 292
3
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
3 Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 292
The 478CID V-6 GMC < if one wanted to put one of these in a regular pick up sized dually truck.

1. could it be bolt up to the SM-420 trans ?

2. if not is there a M/T trans about that size one could get ?

I'm not trying to stuff a 2 million ton 9spd from a KW in pickup truck. . . NV-4500 or T-56 or somthing ?

Mike


1962 GMC K3000, GMC-379 V6.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
NV4500 is probably a good choice.

Did the 478 only have an SAE housing (round) like the V12, or did it have a more traditional automotive housing (not round)?

The SAE housing gives more options for transmissions larger than the SM420.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 292
3
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
3 Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 292
I think so I haven't seen oneup close and personal I was just looking at it on the 6066GMC site. . .

I don't want to put a HUGE tran's in that truck. . .
I would like a 4-6spd manual trans, if they can put a 5.9L 24 valve in a monte they gotta have small enough manual trans to put a 478M in my GMC !

I saw on the site where a guy put the 478 with an alliosn auto in pickup truck a 3/4ton I think I would be interested in doing that but not with an auto trans. . .
Any idea on the gear ratios of the NV-4500 ? I would like to gain an OD while still retaining my Granny. . .
any idea on a 6spd tran's for this ? granny first and OD 6th gear ?


Mike


1962 GMC K3000, GMC-379 V6.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 292
3
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
3 Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 292
i have looked up every photo I can grigg and best I can tell it's perfect round mounting plate so dose this mean that about Any Heavy duty trans would fit it ? so i wanted the 5spd spicer ? or an 18spd fuller ? either trans would bolt right up ?

the 379M-V6's i have seen went both way's is it possable the the backing plate comes off ?

wouldn't the Mack or spicer 5spd or 7spd be way too heavy for the light duty chassie ?

Mike D


1962 GMC K3000, GMC-379 V6.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I asked my friend who runs a few of them still. He said that yes the 478 only has the SAE #2 (round) housing.

So yes most any heavy duty transmission would fit.

The smallest Roadranger is the model RT(O)-610 or 6610 at 357 lb without oil or clutch housing, about 400 lb installed.

Eaton Fuller and Spicer all make some nice single countershaft 5,6, and 7 speeds that may not be to big. I don't know much about them, other than they are generally synchronized.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 292
3
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
3 Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 292
I see. . .

so i'll have to get the old tape measure out see what i got for room and what i got for option's. . .

Mike


1962 GMC K3000, GMC-379 V6.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0