The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Gdads51, 3B, 32Fordpuchoptop, Bill Hanlon, Otto Skorzeny, Joe H), 166 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,246
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have been using my 52 4400 dumptruck to move dirt in my back yard and on about my 10th trip into the back 40, the 216 backfired hard through the carburetor and then began to run poorly. I popped the hood and noted that the vacuum advance hose was no longer connected at the carburetor. I hooked it back up and it immediately idled better, but still pops / backfires at higher revs and not enough power to back up the hill to dump the load. I babied it around to the shop and parked it. What do you suppose happened? I am going to check ignition to make sure it didn't initiate the first big backfire and subsequent problems, and carburetor is next. It has a Carter YF carb on it. Is this stock for a 52 216? I thought Rochesters were stock for these rigs. :confused:

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
I bet the timing gear slipped a tooth. This would especially happen pulling a big load.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
Ken, any possibility that the force of the backfire may have damaged the vacuum advance mechanism in addition to blowing the hose off? Just a thought-checkin' stuff like that is free! Just hook up a vacuum pump and see if it will move the diaphragm in the advance mechanism as it should.

Wannabe smile


"Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed"
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
Hook a vacuum guage to the engine and run the engine.
It should have a steady reading at about 17 to 21 on the guage.
Look in manual to see sample readings indicating valve,timing or other problems.


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 41
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 41
I agree this sounds more like the timeing chain has sliped .
I am not sure what carb was used on your model. but on my 37 with a 216 it has a Carter W1 on it

-------------------
37 Chevy 1/2 Ton


37 Chevy 1/2 Ton
86 Chevy Blazer
98 Drudge 24 valve Cummins
One worn out Timberjack
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 8
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 8
As far as I know, the Carters were last used on '49s and from '50 on up they were Rochester B's.


6 > 8

-Keepin' Things Inline-
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Quote
Originally posted by B.J.:
As far as I know, the Carters were last used on '49s and from '50 on up they were Rochester B's.
And we've also learned that in 52 some of the trucks were built with parts from earlier models due to wartime shortages.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 20
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 20
Ken,
Have you looked in the distributer cap for signs of arcing? I had a similar experience where, when the arc happened, two cylinders fired at once. Unfortunately, one was on the exhaust stroke and I guess the residual fuel was enough to completely shred the exhaust system in the ensuing explosion. I got the truck running again, but until I replaced the distributer cap it ran like it was a candidate for the junk pile.


marshall

If it ain't broke, It ain't mine.
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 427
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 427
My vote is timing. Check it with a light and see what you got.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The fact that you saw the vacuum advance line disconnected from the distributor would lead me to suspect the advance springs/ mechanism in the distributor. On the other hand it may have been the major backfire that blew the vacuum line off the advance & was caused by an entirely different problem.

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,217
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,217
I would check the cap and wires for cross firing. Was it damp out, high humidity? Check the cap for carbon trails from one terminal to the next. If there was enough humidity in the cap, the arc will burn the carbon out of the water and form a track. It will look just like a pencil mark.

On the timing chain, why would it jump a tooth under a load? The camshaft doesn't know the engine is working hard. High rpm it could jump, but would it just jump one tooth? Any more than one, would the engine run at all?

A valve could of hung up and caused it to back fire? Do you hear anything from the carburator or out the exhaust pipe? Can you pull one plug wire at a time with engine running and make it better or worse?

I have allways heard of timing chains jumping a tooth but never seen one do it. I have seen nylon teeth break off but never a chain break or jump. I have seen some very loose ones that should of jumped. Its just one of them stories I here about but never see . Joe


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0