The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Southerntruck, fonz8261, 1 invisible), 165 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#334804 11/08/2007 6:02 PM
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 25
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 25
I'm trying to get my speedometer working but found the speedometer driven gear that screws into the tranny (4 spd) had several broken teeth only on the part of the gear towards the outside of the transmission. Does anyone know what would cause this or where I could get a replacement? The drive works if I pull the cable back about 1/8 inch. Is this due to pulling the good part of the gear into engagement? (there is maybe .100" of endplay in the gear shaft.

Thanks,

Steve


Steve
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 155
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 155
Not sure what broke the teeth, but you should be able to get another one from yer local wrecking yard...Be sue to take the bad one with you so you can match it..


Geoff


68 GMC 3800
56 JD420C w/JD90 Loader
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 52
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 52
If your speedo cable is dry and needs lube that will bust teeth off the gear...try lubeing your cable and replace the gear

Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 25
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 25
I checked the local scrap yard but the transmissions were missing. Do you know if the gear from a 3 speed would work?

Steve


Steve
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 25
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 25
I have a new cable now, just need to get a new gear.


Steve
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 155
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 155
Gears are based on tranny, wheels and tire size...3spd gear won't work...Have ya got a speedometer shop nearby????



Geoff


68 GMC 3800
56 JD420C w/JD90 Loader
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 25
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 25
I don't know of any speedo shops locally, but will check with the one in Detroit where I ordered a rebuild speedometer. I've checked the usual old chevy suppliers for parts, but none of them have this part.


Steve
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 25
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 25
I went back to the junk yard today and found a gear in a GMC 4 spd that looks like it will work. I also removed one from a 6100 series Chevy truck that looked correct, but had 13 teeth instead of the 12 tooth I needed. Best hour and a half plus $5 I've spent today. Thanks for the feedback.

Steve


Steve

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0