The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hotrod Lincoln, Guitplayer, TUTS 59, IHPWR), 185 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,227
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 182
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 182
Anyone have experience with bonded brake shoes failing/cracking ?
With just a few thousand miles of normal braking, I discovered the front shoes on my 52 were cracking all over. These are bonded (glued) shoes. I don't remember having this happen with the ol' riveted shoes.
Thanks!
Russ

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 38
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 38
Never had a problem with new bonded linings. I have see bonded linings that were on vehicles for years break down and linings come loose. If these are newly purchased they should swap them for a new set

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Russ,

Lining failure wouldn't seem like it would be a result of the type of attachment to me, unless you mean it is breaking apart or sloughing off the brake shoe proper.

There are probably many different grades (quality) of brake shoes. Could China have a finger in the brake shoe pie and you are seeing the resulting inferior quality?

Stuart

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 595
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 595
better return them asap! sounds like they are defective to me. what is the chinese translation for junk? WALMART!

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Ususally cracking is a result of too much heat. Perhaps the adjustment was a little too tight?


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
I've seen the entire lining fall off, but the shoes were over 25 years old.

I've see really, really worn riveted lining shoes crack around the rivets, but again, they were over 25 years old.

I'd replace them and see if I could get a refund.


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 182
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 182
These are new bonded shoes with only a few thousand miles. The adjustment was correct.
Looking at other vehicle forums I found that some people have had these bonded shoes actually lose chunks of lining and cause the kind of problems you might imagine.....
Riveted seems the way to go to prevent this. When there is a multible choice for sets of linings....the riveted ones are always "the pro choice" or more expensive but not much. The bus mechanics where I work aren't allowed to use the glued shoes...only riveted. Kinda makes sense.
Thanks for the replys.

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 32
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 32
The main ting is to buy the better shoes. I made the mistake of buying some AutoZone pieces of junk and had the linings coming off the shoes in less than a month. Got my money back and bought some good old Wagner shoes and no more problem. Both were bonded. The Wagners cost more but were much better.

Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 18
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 18
I completely agree with Wrench Fetcher. After owning a parts store for 10 years, just use Wagner brake shoes, bonded or rivited, should be fine.

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Russntustin,

I worked in a shop where mechanics maintained a fleet of lumber trucks. All the shoes were riveted, but only because the maintenance crew did their own relining. They bought lining by the case and had a rivet press.

Stuart


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0