The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gdads51, Otto Skorzeny, jay d, Hotrod Lincoln, ‘37ChevyPU), 173 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,262
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#128711 10/20/2007 2:07 AM
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 33
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 33
I am stripping the paint of the 53 Panel and
found lead at front post, behind doors and
back of vehicle at roof level. I also found lead
at bottom of front posts. Also, lead filler all
the way down the left outside cowl.
All looks good except for one small area at roof
rear that could be releaded.
I want to use new fillers in prep for epoxy primer and basecoat/clearcoat as a topcoat (probably PPG)
Can I leave the lead in place and cover with
sealers or what?

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I left the lead that was in mine (mainly above the left headlamp) where it was. Just a light skim coat of Dynatron Putty Cote over it to fill the scratches from stripping, and primed (I used Kondar) it's been fine since.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
Left mine in on my 55 Chevy pickup. It was located
where thr door pillars meet the roof.For some of my rust repairs...I welding in patches and then sealing with lead..

Keith

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 275
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 275
The lead will cause no problems with the finish. Lead was used before the invention of Plastic body filler (Bondo). You can just prime over it, you can sand it, just like filler.

And you don't have to worry about rust in those areas.

Frank


No better smell than that of fresh paint. I've been building and painting cars/trucks for 47 years. Not gonna stop now.
http://www.coxcustomcars.com/



Joined: May 2007
Posts: 275
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 275
The lead will cause no problems with the finish. Lead was used before the invention of Plastic body filler (Bondo). You can just prime over it, you can sand it, just like filler.

And you don't have to worry about rust in those areas.

Frank


No better smell than that of fresh paint. I've been building and painting cars/trucks for 47 years. Not gonna stop now.
http://www.coxcustomcars.com/



Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 169
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 169
Quote
Originally posted by countilaw:
You can just prime over it, you can sand it, just like filler.

Frank
I would not sand lead as it makes air borne dust of a toxic material. If you DO sand lead wear a respirator.


Currently working on custom metal and How to videos.

1949 and 1972 chevy trucks
70 chevelle SS455
Pictures of my work and projects
http://community.webshots.com/user/sevt_chevelle
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
Lead is difficult to work but in the end a better fix than bondo. There aren't many guys around that know how to work lead anymore. I tried it on the hood of my 50 Chevy as a teenager and made a complete mess. It did create a lot of laughs at the body shop.


~Jim
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 80
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 80
Is there a safe way to remove old lead repairs? I found some lead on one of my front fenders and I was sanding it out. I don't have a resirator so I stopped. Can I melt it out? It doesn't look like a very good repair as there was a bit or rust under the lead I removed.
I would prefer to remove all of it and start over on repairing that area.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 169
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 169
a plumbers torch will easily melt it out.


Currently working on custom metal and How to videos.

1949 and 1972 chevy trucks
70 chevelle SS455
Pictures of my work and projects
http://community.webshots.com/user/sevt_chevelle
#128720 10/22/2007 11:13 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Melting it out is easily the safest way to remove it.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
#128721 10/23/2007 11:29 PM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
If you melt it out just get it hot enough to wipe off with a shop rag. Too much heat and you may wind up with a warped panel.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 275
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 275
Now we talk about respirators when working with lead. What about using respirators when we are sanding plastic filler, epoxy, 2k, lacquer primer, and clear coats?

I don't think sanding or filing lead is half as dangerous as the other chemicals we expose ourselves to everyday we work in the shop.

Frank


No better smell than that of fresh paint. I've been building and painting cars/trucks for 47 years. Not gonna stop now.
http://www.coxcustomcars.com/



Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
Seems that lead wouldn't be that big a problem because it wouldn't turn to airborne dust that can be breathed in like bondo and other plastics...


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 578
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 578
Here's a link to health info.
https://sbms.bnl.gov/sbmsearch/subjarea/114/114_Pro9.cfm
It sounds as though breathing the fumes off molten lead can actually leave lead in your bloodstream. There are definite mental acuity and memory problems associated with this.


"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0