Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,111 Posts1,056,244 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 33 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 33 | I am stripping the paint of the 53 Panel and found lead at front post, behind doors and back of vehicle at roof level. I also found lead at bottom of front posts. Also, lead filler all the way down the left outside cowl. All looks good except for one small area at roof rear that could be releaded. I want to use new fillers in prep for epoxy primer and basecoat/clearcoat as a topcoat (probably PPG) Can I leave the lead in place and cover with sealers or what? | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | I left the lead that was in mine (mainly above the left headlamp) where it was. Just a light skim coat of Dynatron Putty Cote over it to fill the scratches from stripping, and primed (I used Kondar) it's been fine since.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 615 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 615 | Left mine in on my 55 Chevy pickup. It was located where thr door pillars meet the roof.For some of my rust repairs...I welding in patches and then sealing with lead..
Keith | | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 275 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2007 Posts: 275 | The lead will cause no problems with the finish. Lead was used before the invention of Plastic body filler (Bondo). You can just prime over it, you can sand it, just like filler.
And you don't have to worry about rust in those areas.
Frank
No better smell than that of fresh paint. I've been building and painting cars/trucks for 47 years. Not gonna stop now. http://www.coxcustomcars.com/ | | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 275 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2007 Posts: 275 | The lead will cause no problems with the finish. Lead was used before the invention of Plastic body filler (Bondo). You can just prime over it, you can sand it, just like filler.
And you don't have to worry about rust in those areas.
Frank
No better smell than that of fresh paint. I've been building and painting cars/trucks for 47 years. Not gonna stop now. http://www.coxcustomcars.com/ | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 169 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 169 | Originally posted by countilaw: You can just prime over it, you can sand it, just like filler.
Frank I would not sand lead as it makes air borne dust of a toxic material. If you DO sand lead wear a respirator. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | Lead is difficult to work but in the end a better fix than bondo. There aren't many guys around that know how to work lead anymore. I tried it on the hood of my 50 Chevy as a teenager and made a complete mess. It did create a lot of laughs at the body shop.
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 80 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 80 | Is there a safe way to remove old lead repairs? I found some lead on one of my front fenders and I was sanding it out. I don't have a resirator so I stopped. Can I melt it out? It doesn't look like a very good repair as there was a bit or rust under the lead I removed. I would prefer to remove all of it and start over on repairing that area. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 169 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 169 | a plumbers torch will easily melt it out. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | Melting it out is easily the safest way to remove it.
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | If you melt it out just get it hot enough to wipe off with a shop rag. Too much heat and you may wind up with a warped panel. | | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 275 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2007 Posts: 275 | Now we talk about respirators when working with lead. What about using respirators when we are sanding plastic filler, epoxy, 2k, lacquer primer, and clear coats?
I don't think sanding or filing lead is half as dangerous as the other chemicals we expose ourselves to everyday we work in the shop.
Frank
No better smell than that of fresh paint. I've been building and painting cars/trucks for 47 years. Not gonna stop now. http://www.coxcustomcars.com/ | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | Seems that lead wouldn't be that big a problem because it wouldn't turn to airborne dust that can be breathed in like bondo and other plastics... | | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 578 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 578 | Here's a link to health info. https://sbms.bnl.gov/sbmsearch/subjarea/114/114_Pro9.cfmIt sounds as though breathing the fumes off molten lead can actually leave lead in your bloodstream. There are definite mental acuity and memory problems associated with this.
"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi
| | |
| |