The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jeff Ogden, Peggy M, amtrakjoe, moparguy, mvigo, walter74), 107 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,702
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
I am building a trailer from an old bed. I was planning on running a fiberglass resin coated sheet of plywood in it as a floor. But I got to thinking, is there anything like that plastic stuff that they make decks and fences out of these days in a sheet?

Brian


1948 Chevy Pickup
Chopped and sectioned
owned since 1974 when I was 15.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
look for stuff called "arena board" to put on top of marine plywood - it's the plastic sheet they use around hockey rinks [where it might be called 'puck board'], near bullet proof

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
You can buy 4x8 sheets of plastic like they use in car washes right at Menards.

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 101
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 101
More durable hum bug. My 41 has the orginal wood bed and was used to haul grain and how knows what for the 20 years it was a farm truck. Just a little sand paper and a new coat of varnish and its as good as new. Accept the few deeper gouges but hey they are beauty marks smile

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
Four inches of concrete with rebar in it oughta be just about bulletproof.


1948 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Tuesdays with Morris"
In the Legacy Gallery
Find it - Fix it - Drive it
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
I used a composite deck product called Veranda...available from Home Depot. Its a grey color, comes in 8' lengths, cuts like butter and has a wood-grain print on one side. I followed their directions as far as spacing and used carriage bolts instead of the bed strips. I didn't add any additional bed cross members and after a year it looks as good as the day I installed it. I have a picture in my webshots "Shoebox album" (pg 8). Hope this helps.

Dave


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
I would steer away from any coating over wood even marine treated. My father-in-law was in the boat business and I've seen high dollar Sea Rays just a few years old with rotted decks. They use a marine plywood and it just won't hold up like good old oak or hickory or some other hardwood. Fiberglass over wood holds in the moisture. You want the wood to breath and dry out.
Just my 2 cents...


~Jim
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
Some great stuff, THANKS!

I'll post when I am done. I just picked up that axle and hubs today, can't wait to get it on the road again!

Brian


1948 Chevy Pickup
Chopped and sectioned
owned since 1974 when I was 15.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 863
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 863
aluminum checkerplate?


My GMC has a bad case of ship fitters disease!
GMC: Get More Cash...
1958 GMC
1956 Chevy 1500 Hydraulic Dump Truck
1952 Chevy 1700 3-Ton Firetruck

My Webshots photos

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0