The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,474
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#326231 10/02/2007 11:58 AM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 37
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 37
My wife bought me a great 1955.1 3600 Chevy that the PO put a 55.2 bed on. They butchered the running boards to clear the fenders. Does anyone know if the beds are the same on the 55's? I am thinking I should just need to patch the bolt holes and put on new fenders and running boards. The bed is 8ft long, 50 inches wide, so I am not sure if it is a 3/4 or 1/2 ton bed. It is in very good condition, so I am hoping it is correct other than the bolt on items.

#326232 10/02/2007 11:00 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 406
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 406
Is your bed 97" or 89"? inside length? After 55 second series, the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton long beds are the same. Long beds became 97" inside in the 57 model year. If your bed is 97", it is longer than the frame and will be difficult to connect at the rear frame horns. Your frame is a couple inches wider than the 55 second series, but that should not be much of a problem. We did an article on bed changes year by year. http://www.mar-k.com/installation_hints.html that may be helpful. Scroll down to "Bedside Interchangeability". This is not a simple bolt on swap, but is can be done depending on how original you want it to look. There is a lot different between 55 first and second series beds.

Mar-Ktech

#326233 10/03/2007 11:56 AM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 37
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 37
Thank you, that helps allot.I will get out and do some measurements to figure out exactly what I have. Since it is already fitted to the truck and squared up with the rest of the body, I think I can just fill the old fender holes and measure and drill new ones for the 1st series fenders. This will be a daily driver in a couple of years, so it doesn't need to be exact restoration. Up until it was placed in a garage in 1981 it was a farm truck, so it will be interesting to see how they mounted the bed once I tear into it. Thanks again for the info.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0